Alumnus, front man of Rough Church shreds religiously

UCLA alumnus Greg Franco (right) will perform Jan. 24 at Taix’s 321 Lounge with his band Rough Church, featuring violinist Kaitlin Wolfberg.

By Alicia Sontag

The original version of this article contained an error and has been changed. See the bottom of the article for additional information.

At four years old, UCLA alumnus Greg Franco was tapping out rhythms on pots and pans. By the time he reached college, he had already begun his first band and started DJ’ing for UCLA Radio.

Rough Church, Franco’s latest musical project, has released several records since its formation and will perform at Taix French Country Cuisine’s 321 Lounge on Jan. 24.

Franco began performing in a band at age 17 and soon after began writing his own music. As a DJ for UCLA Radio during the ’80s, Franco said he put on live radio shows and interviewed bands such as the Violent Femmes, which helped his passion for music grow.

After leaving UCLA, Franco began a 20-year career at Universal Studios, while continuing to make music as a band member of various groups.

“I had a band called Ferdinand, and at its highest point, when we were playing in the L.A. Knitting Factory, I realized I wasn’t happy,” Franco said. “I went to New Zealand, created a record with a local band and then came back to put together Rough Church.”

Franco released several albums in New Zealand in 2001. By 2004, Franco created a solo record in the South Pacific, created a label and went to Australia to continue recording and making new music.

After spending time working with New Zealand and Australian bands, Franco said he began to integrate the laid-back sounds of South Pacific music into his own. Rough Church will return to New Zealand and Australia this year on tour.

“After 30 years of writing music, I got sick of my lyrics and I became friends with David Eggleton, a New Zealand poet and professor who began writing songs for me,” Franco said.

Even with the New Zealand tones, Rough Church focuses more on post-punk and progressive rock music, Franco said.

“We put out rock – it has to have a helter-skelter energy with percussion breakdowns and guitar solos,” Franco said. “But it is a fun rock, a positive thing. It’s a celebration of music.”

Kaitlin Wolfberg, violinist of Rough Church, said the music is gritty, truthful and emotional. She said Franco is first and foremost a songwriter.

“(Franco) plays different tunings and uses his ear to find something he likes,” Wolfberg said. “He’s not overly mathematical, and he gives his musicians free reign.”

Rough Church has produced various records, the most recent being “Aloha Mijos,” said Manny Nieto, the band’s music producer.

“Once (Franco) performs a song, that’s it; there’s not a lot to be changed,” Nieto said. “He appreciates the weird strings or chord, and he makes music that’s personal and that stands out in today’s world of computer-generated music.”

Among the songs on the double vinyl are “Chess Pieces,” “Brave Girl” and “Landscape of Love,” which Franco said the band will perform live at Taix.

“’Chess Pieces’ is emotional and political, based on the perspective of a reluctant war-hero,” Franco said. “It’s heavy rock but transcendent too, because it gives you this profound energy.”

“Brave Girl” is a positive pop song that focuses on women’s courage and determination, while “Landscape of Love” is a tribute to Franco’s father and the way Franco and his sister were raised, he said.

“I think people in the next year will see a bigger picture of (Franco) with the new records,” Nieto said.

Most of Franco’s songs vary with his mood from heartbreak to politics, some of which root from his UCLA education, Franco said. He believes his songwriting would not be as good as it is today if he had not studied so hard and been exposed to so much in college.

“Because I went to school, I gained more world awareness, and spent a lot of time in the library,” Franco said. “I took a lot of classes in history and economics, and the education I got was very valuable.”

Nieto said Franco’s lyrics are deep and surreal, and his talents, which are showcased in Rough Church, are a testament to UCLA.

“Greg is really pushing the limits, and his musicians are making his music come to life,” Nieto said. “It’s giving him more leverage for more challenging musical parts and for branching out.”

Correction: Franco interviewed bands including the Violent Femmes. David Eggleton’s name was misspelled.

Alicia Sontag