Winter TV preview: Winter Olympics headlines major networks

By Andrea Seikaly and Sebastian Torrelio

Winter quarter can sometimes feel a bit dreary, but thanks to a new TV lineup, Bruins can beat the blues by tuning in. From the return of fan favorites like “Downton Abbey” to the arrival of the Winter Olympics, chances are that there is something for everyone. The Daily Bruin’s Andrea Seikaly and Sebastian Torrelio break down what’s new and what to expect on TV this quarter.

NBC

With the return of popular shows like “Parenthood” and “The Michael J. Fox Show,” NBC is also gearing up for its coverage of the XXII Olympic Winter Games, beginning with the opening ceremonies on Feb. 7. Athletes such as snowboarder Shaun White will compete in Sochi, Russia with the whole world watching. The games run through Feb. 23, with major events televised each evening. With the rise of social media, it may be hard to avoid spoilers throughout the day, but there is still something special about watching a close competition or medal ceremony on TV.

989e396d-047f-47de-bc68-cb93a6f6f74b

NBC Universal

Once the Olympics come to an end, season six of the hit singing competition “The Voice” kicks off on Feb. 24 with the return of coaches Shakira and Usher, who will fill in their positions for Christina Aguilera and Cee Lo Green once more. The last season having ended in December, “The Voice” continues its run of back-to-back seasons, topping Fox’s “The X Factor” in the process.

On Feb. 17, Jimmy Fallon takes over the coveted spot of host of “The Tonight Show” from Jay Leno, hopefully avoiding the fiasco from previous short-term host Conan O’Brien. Fallon will be bringing the show back to New York, sending “Saturday Night Live” actor and writer Seth Meyers to the seat of Fallon’s former show, “Late Night.” Accompanied by executive producer of “Saturday Night Live” Lorne Michaels and The Roots backing band, NBC hopes to bring youth and musicality to “The Tonight Show,” the likes of which the show hasn’t seen in its 60-year history.

ABC

Two of ABC’s highest rated and most popular shows, Shonda Rhimes’ “Grey’s Anatomy” and “Scandal,” will be on hiatus until the end of February, making the next several weeks a bit of a dry spell for the network. After two riveting winter finales, fans were left hanging as the doctors of Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital and Olivia Pope’s team of gladiators entered a winter hibernation.

70bc7903-0bb1-4cbf-b556-5180f23e859d

Disney ABC

Viewers will have to wait several weeks until the return of both programs on Feb. 27 to find out how “Grey’s Anatomy” surgeon April (Sarah Drew) will respond to Jackson’s (Jesse Williams) emotional outburst at her wedding and what the real story is behind Olivia (Kerry Washington) and her mother’s questionable history in “Scandal.”

Season 18 of “The Bachelor” recently returned with past player Juan Pablo Galavis. After being eliminated in the 9th season of “The Bachelorette,” the single father faces 27 contestants hoping to be proven worth his while over the coming weeks.

Otherwise, until the Olympics next month, ABC will continue its reign of addictive programming with returning shows such as “Revenge,” “Castle,” “Nashville” and “Trophy Wife.”

CBS

Beginning with the winter premiere on Jan. 13, it’s time to slowly say farewell to the characters of “How I Met Your Mother.” Nonetheless, the show still has plenty of milestones and memories to enjoy, including the airing of its 200th episode on Jan. 27. Talk of a spin-off also gives fans something to look forward to after the show comes to an end on March 31.

8a29cf11-7a0d-481e-8ffc-b4023037fb6c

CBS

Since it first began airing in 2005, the show’s nine seasons have consistently kept audiences coming back for more. While nearly all of the cast members have pursued movie roles during the show’s run, “How I Met Your Mother” seems to have solidified their place in the hearts of TV viewers. In some ways, the departure of breakout character Barney Stinson (Neil Patrick Harris) and the gang is reminiscent of the day when fans said farewell to the cast of “Friends” back in 2004.

Otherwise, CBS continues to hold strong in the ratings with extremely popular comedies such as “The Big Bang Theory” and “Two and a Half Men.” Dramas such as “NCIS” and “The Good Wife” remain staples of CBS programming, leading the courtroom and crime drama genres in spectacular form.

Fox

Even though “The Voice” has fared better in the ratings game, “American Idol” is still one of the most popular shows on the Fox network. The Jan. 15 premiere of season 13 of “American Idol” is likely to pull in more viewers than most of Fox’s other programming, and the timing also gives it a fighting chance before “The Voice” returns in late February.

fd8b3caa-da71-4fe0-a2c0-dec9200b8d2a

Fox Broadcasting Company

The new mix of judges – with “American Idol” veterans Keith Urban and Jennifer Lopez welcoming new judge Harry Connick Jr. – could prove to be appealing to a wider audience. Connick Jr.’s sound is far less pop-based than Lopez’s, making for an interesting mix of possible contestant critiques given Urban’s country roots, Connick Jr.’s soul and Lopez’s dance background.

Fox will get another big ratings opportunity with its broadcast of Super Bowl XLVIII on Feb. 2. This will be the first time Fox has televised the biggest game in football since 2011. The game will be the first outdoor Super Bowl hosted in such a cold location, at MetLife Stadium, as well as the first hosted by two states (New York and New Jersey). The eight remaining teams in the playoffs, four from the AFC and four from the NFC, will duke it out in the coming weeks for their shot at the ultimate sports title.

Returning comedies “Brooklyn Nine-Nine,” “Glee,” “Raising Hope” and “New Girl” continue the network’s eccentric programming, bringing the audience along with it. Continuing an impressive ninth season,“Bones” returns Friday to a new timeslot, accompanied by new army-themed comedy “Enlisted.”

Andrea Seikaly