Monday, May 6, 2024

Despite lack of genre diversity, Bruin Bash lineup energizes crowd

By Daily Bruin

Bright red and purple lights swept across an ocean of excited faces and jumping crowds as California rappers E-40 and Tyga took the stage in Pauley Pavilion for Bruin Bash 2013. Put together each year by Campus Events Commission and Cultural Affairs Commission, Bruin Bash is one of the most widely anticipated events of True Bruin Welcome Week and marks the start of a new and busy school year.

This year’s lineup showcased rappers exclusively, a slight departure from last year’s more diverse sets, and may have been disappointing for students who are not so fond of hip-hop music. Nevertheless, the performers’ energy and stage presence made up for the lack of musical diversity and helped get most of the audience to enjoy the music.

As the audience filed in, DJ SARS and Bentley Montes, the winners of the Cultural Affairs Commission’s DJ Competition, entertained the crowd with thumping and inventive mixes that included samples from artists such as 2 Chainz and Clyde Carson. Each successive beat energized the crowd and turned the initially seated audience into a dancing, screaming mass of head-bobbing upperclassmen and excited freshmen.

After DJ SARS – otherwise known as second-year molecular, cell and developmental biology student Jeffrey Hsiao – finished his act, Bay Area rapper E-40 took the stage amid loud cheers. Dressed in a dark T-shirt, jeans and sporting his trademark glasses, E-40 set a high bar for the rest of the show with his engaging performance.

E-40’s set began with the rapper introducing himself through a microphone while he was offstage. E-40’s disembodied voice served to heighten the anticipation, and his words served as a central theme to his entire performance: “I love you, I feel you, I represent you … and I bring the Bay with me.”

The set list was comprised of many of E-40’s hits over the years and included songs such as “Function” and “White Gurl.” E-40 introduced “Function,” a popular 2012 hip-hop anthem, by addressing the crowd in a cleverly disguised transition, bringing the crowd to a frenzy. In the middle of the set, E-40 introduced fellow artist TeeFLii, who performed as a guest for a few minutes. At times, however, E-40’s lesser-known songs caused some confusion as the rapper turned the microphone to the crowd and was met with a muddled response.

Overall, E-40 put up a solid show filled with dance-worthy crowd pleasers. Indeed, the energy reached such a peak that, after E-40’s set, a fire marshal was called up to the stage and halted the show until audience members cleared the aisles and returned to their seats.

After a short DJ interlude, Southern California rapper Tyga made a grand entrance amid raucous screams and cheers. Filled with energy and wearing a black Last Kings outfit, Tyga shattered the suspense that had settled over the audience after the fire marshal’s appearance and soon had the audience on its feet as he bounced and cavorted his way through hits such as “Faded” and “Rack City.”

Midway through his set, Tyga allowed himself to mingle with the audience members. Lifted onto his bodyguards’ shoulders, the rapper put on a spirited performance as his shirt was pulled in all directions by eager students. Later, toward the end of the set, Tyga let the front of the floor section rush the stage, and his performance of the closing song was overwhelmed by a brightly colored, exuberant crowd.

Throughout the performance, Tyga had Pauley Pavilion on its feet and dancing the night away. With his catchy beats, the Los Angeles-based rapper delivered a high-energy set that, despite the lack of genre diversity, proved enjoyable for many Bruin Bash attendees. Although the show ended abruptly because of aisle-clearing problems, the night proved to be memorable for freshmen and upperclassmen alike.

With Tyga and E-40 headlining the start of UCLA’s school-year-long concert season, Bruin Bash 2013 established its reputation as one of the most highly anticipated events of the year to new and returning students. While CEC and CAC’s choice in putting on an exclusively hip-hop show may not have appealed to all students, Bruin Bash 2013 still played host to a star-studded lineup that reminded new and returning students of the entertainment opportunities Los Angeles has to offer.

Compiled by Shreya Aiyar, Daily Bruin A&E contributor.

Daily Bruin