Circus-esque show follows ‘Magnetic Zeros’ new album

Nora Kirkpatrick plays the accordion in the Los Angeles folk indie band, Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros, who recently performed at the Hollywood Bowl.

By Ashley Jakubczyk

Aug. 19, 2013 12:00 a.m.

The original version of this article contained an error and has been changed. See the bottom of the article for additional information.

After graduating from UCLA’s School of Theater, Film and Television in 2007, Nora Kirkpatrick dove right into the two aspects of Hollywood she is most passionate about: film and music.

Aside from landing the role of Esther, Dwight Schrute’s love interest in the last season of “The Office,” Kirkpatrick plays with indie-folk band Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. Daily Bruin’s Ashley Jakubczyk spoke with Kirkpatrick about the band’s new album, what’s next on her plate, and why a Magnetic Zeros-inspired circus is coming to town.

Daily Bruin: You guys played in front of about 15,000 people at the Hollywood Bowl on August 4th. What was it like to play at such a large, iconic venue?

Nora Kirkpatrick: The Hollywood Bowl show was just surreal. It’s truly an iconic place. All of us have seen so many shows there and it’s such a part of L.A. life. But I think it really hit me when I drove up and saw all these people walking in with their picnic baskets. It was like, hey, I’m usually the one doing that. And now here I am up on stage, in front of so many people. Whoa.

DB: The show was part of a tour celebrating your third studio album, which was just released a few weeks ago. Was there anything the band did differently in creating this record?

NK: I joined Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros when Jade (Castrinos) and Alex (Ebert) had just started putting things together and were in the process of recording their first album. We met through a mutual friend as the band was growing into the huge ensemble that it is now. So I’ve been there from the beginning, and we haven’t always had the luck of being able to record in the same room at the same time. But recording this album was different because we were recording much more of it live and in one cohesive piece. It was nice to have everyone together and not have to put the pieces together later on.

DB: There’s definitely a lot of diversity in the band as far as instruments go. What drew you in to playing the accordion?

NK: I grew up playing both piano and organ, but I wanted to expand my musical horizons and play an instrument I could easily pick up and take with me. So I started playing the accordion about seven years ago. I’m absolutely in love with it.

DB: The band recently announced an event, “Big Top,” which will be happening this October at the Los Angeles State Historic Park. Can you tell me a little bit about how this show came to fruition?

NK: We’re really excited to be putting this together! This is actually the third rendition of this sort of event. We’ve put on “Railroad Revival Tour” (with Mumford & Sons and Old Crow Medicine Show), riding around the country literally on a train and playing shows along the way. We also took over the Old Vic Tunnels in London. And now we’re coming to downtown L.A.

DB: What’s so special about this event? How is it different than a normal concert?

NK: We want to put together a show that is more than just a typical concert, something that no one has really ever seen before. I mean, I don’t know anyone who has seen a show sponsored by a band, complete with circus performers, acrobatics, puppets, mimes and clowns. There’s going to be a lot to look at and experience, and at the end of every night, we’re going to perform. It takes people out of the typical venue and really just expands the show in a fresh, new way.

DB: So after that, what’s next on the agenda?

NK: I’ll definitely be switching gears a little bit and working on some acting projects. I also compose film scores, so I will be spending a lot of time doing that. After we’re done with this tour, the band’s just taking a little bit of a breather because we’ve been touring for a while now. But it’s a fun ride. And we all love it.

Correction: Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros organized the “Railroad Revival Tour” with Mumford & Sons and Old Crow Medicine Show.

Ashley Jakubczyk