Sunday, April 28, 2024

Movie Review: ‘2 Guns’

"2 Guns"
Directed by Baltasar Kormákur
Universal Pictures

By Garrett Anglin

Aug. 5, 2013 12:13 a.m.

Look back on all the buddy cop movies through the years. Go ahead. There’s quite a long list of great ones: “Beverly Hills Cop,” “48 Hrs.,” “Lethal Weapon,” “Bad Boys” and (who could forget) “Rush Hour.” Well, “2 Guns” is the antithesis of all of them, taking the typical Laurel and Hardy odd-couple relationship that normally holds true in the buddy cop genre and turning it on its head.

“2 Guns,” despite being slightly formulaic and, at times, stomach-churningly violent, is an oddly satisfying film from Icelandic director Baltasar Kormákur, who up until now has only been known for his foreign language films, one of which, “The Deep,” made the January 2013 shortlist as the Icelandic entry for the best foreign language film Oscar.

Based on the comic series of the same name, “2 Guns” chronicles the entanglement of two crooked agents, Michael “Stig” Stigman (Mark Wahlberg), a naval intel officer, and Bobby Trench (Denzel Washington) , an undercover Drug Enforcement Agency agent. The two team up to rob a bank and take down a Mexican drug lord who has $3 million deposited there. However, they get a little bit more than they bargained for – about $44 million more. This small difference sets in motion a string of large-scale explosions and unexpected plot twists, some of which are slightly cliche (a good character is actually bad or vice versa), but the film is enjoyable nonetheless.

The movie’s only real flaw is its violence. The body count turns from a babbling brook to a raging torrent by the time the credits roll. Even a few chickens get the nix. Although the violence is off-putting at times, its biggest instigator is a magnificently well-casted Bill Paxton, who plays a shifty CIA agent with a taste for Russian roulette and blown-out kneecaps. After having been absent from box office gibberish for quite some time, Paxton has a victorious return to form with the slick and deadly Louisiana operative role in “2 Guns”.

“2 Guns” shines, though, because of Wahlberg and Washington, whose chemistry on screen is immediately noticeable. The two play off of each other’s quirks in such a hilarious manner that it distracts from any overly conventional plot devices.

Washington finds himself in familiar territory, slipping into the swaggering smoothness that has defined many of his greatest roles (think “Mo’ Better Blues” mixed with “Training Day”). However, in “2 Guns,” Washington changes his suit slightly, bringing a more upbeat, slapstick flavor to his perfected persona. The fedoras and fake gold teeth that Washington sports in his role as an undercover agent would seem over-the-top on any other actor, but Washington manages to use them well.

Wahlberg, on the other hand, has recently become a strong fixture in comedy. After “The Other Guys” and “Ted,” Wahlberg furthers his talent as a comedic actor by playing a tough but overly optimistic and romantic naval intel officer. Flashing a wink at any girl who looks his way, Wahlberg plays an adorable anti-protagonist trying to find real friendships and family.

From a critical standpoint, “2 Guns” might be viewed as a trite remake of a Michael Bay film, with amusing slow-motion pauses and over-the-top explosions and destruction. But in reality, this film is a different experience from the typical summer action blockbuster. It has wit and charm that stand out as welcome caricatures of the typical and overplayed buddy-cop genre.

Garrett Anglin