Monday, May 6, 2024

Album Review: ‘To Be Loved’ By Michael Buble

“To Be Loved”

Michael Buble
REPRISE RECORDS

By Alicia Sontag

In a competition between Elvis Presley and Michael Bublé, Elvis would win hands down. Yet Bublé insists upon covering originals by the King in his new album “To Be Loved.” Bublé has yet again suffered from a lack of originality, remaking 10 classic songs of the 14 on the sentimental album. However, Bublé does stay true to his fans by delivering a well pieced together album.

“To Be Loved,” Bublé’s eighth studio album, is another typical, romantic, jazzy album that sounds alarmingly similar to his past albums “It’s Time” and “Crazy Love.” While Bublé does have a smooth, soothing voice, “To Be Loved” is just so expected as he sings about love, romance, sunsets, dancing and, well, anything that would melt a girl’s heart.

Although Bublé does deliver beautiful, feel-good music, by the end of the last song, “Young at Heart,” it feels like listeners have just heard one long track with slight variations in speed and rhythm.

The first track, “You Make Me Feel So Young,” originally by Frank Sinatra, begins exactly as Sinatra’s did: loud drums, peppy saxophones and love cliches. This first track simply foreshadows the rest of the album.

The routine continues as Bublé includes covers from the Bee Gees, Jackson 5 and Elvis Presley. Although the songs are moving, Bublé never seems to send goose bumps up listeners’ arms the way the King once did as he crooned “Have I Told You Lately that I Love You.” Bublé doesn’t seem to hold the same meaning for the songs that Sinatra and Elvis did, and he doesn’t caress and give weight to every word as they do.

His second track, “It’s a Beautiful Day,” is lighthearted and carefree. A Bublé original and single, it is similar to his other upbeat 2009 single “Haven’t Met You Yet.” Basically, it seems as though Bublé should be skipping and singing outside in the sunshine.

“After All,” another Bublé original featuring Bryan Adams, is equally peppy, but it provides a new pop dynamic that combines with jazz. Although Bublé maintains his much-loved sound, the track takes on a Matt Kearney quality. It stands out from the rest of the album and sparks wonder as to why Bublé doesn’t try to be innovative more often.

And then there’s “You’ve Got A Friend In Me,” adapted from “Toy Story.” A cute song in a Pixar flick, this track exemplifies innocence and distinctly reminds listeners of the carefree attitudes that belong to their childhoods.

One surprising track that differs from the rest of the overwhelmingly optimistic album’s jazzy tone is Frank Sinatra’s original “Something Stupid.” Actress Reese Witherspoon joins Bublé in this remake. The combination of their voices is unexpected and overall a highlight of “To Be Loved.”

The song begins with a guitar and salsa-like melody, and Witherspoon’s huskier voice contrasts with Bublé’s silkier one. Bublé slightly overpowers Witherspoon, yet her softer, subtler tone adds beauty and a feminine touch to an all-male album.

Although Bublé fails to create anything listeners have not heard before, his voice, as always, is unfalteringly strong and dynamic. Bublé moves easily across a range of pitches and is extremely seductive when he sings as low as his voice allows. The talented singer does deliver that much to his fans.

One can’t help but crave new fresh tracks from Bublé, especially when his originals are so powerful. Though it’s clear that Bublé admires Sinatra, maybe to the point of mimicry, listeners who are in the mood for sweet, pick-me-up love songs can’t go wrong with “To Be Loved.”

Email Sontag at [email protected].

Alicia Sontag