Movie Review: “Parker”

"Parker"

Directed by Taylor Hackford
FILMDISTRICT

By Maria Simpson

Disguised as a gray-haired priest at the Ohio State Fair and later as a Texan playboy with a ten-gallon hat, Jason Statham’s character Parker dons many facades in order to pull off even the most impossible heist.

“The Stath” as he is often called, is best known for his roles in “The Expendables,” “The Transporter” and “Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.” Fans of Statham’s past body of work will not be disappointed with “Parker,” as its action-packed momentum, gritty violence and intricate crime plots live up to expectations.

The cast ensemble includes Michael Chiklis, Wendell Pierce and Academy Award nominee Nick Nolte. Jennifer Lopez is the wild card, leaving behind her usual role as the love interest in romantic comedies and taking up the challenge of playing a thief’s accomplice. Academy Award-winner Taylor Hackford directs “Parker,” and the script, written by John J. McLaughlin, is based off of the novel “Flashfire” by Richard Stark, also known as Donald Westlake.

The film opens in the midst of a robbery with Parker and his crew executing a multimillion dollar theft. When one member of the crew decides to veer from the plan, innocent people get hurt and Parker decides he will no longer work with crime boss Melander (Chiklis) and his gang in the future. Left for dead on the side of a deserted road after the crew turns on him, Parker cheats death and becomes hell-bent on exacting vengeance upon the men. Posing as a wealthy Texan, he follows them to glamorous Palm Beach, Fla., where the lot are planning a lucrative jewelry heist worth more than $50 million.

Statham succeeds in his portrayal as the anti-hero, Parker. His performance demonstrates his comfort in the action genre. Performing stunts is a large part of his role and is one in which he excels. One example is a scene in which Parker gets a surprise attack from an assassin in his hotel room. The two deal brutally devastating blows and Parker slams a porcelain toilet lid over the assassin’s head, leaving him momentarily unconscious. Statham’s career has been built upon his exceptional action roles and this film is no exception.

The all-star cast works wonderfully together with chemistry that is apparent on screen. Lopez is the standout act of the film with her gutsy role as Parker’s accomplice. She is not the star or main character as would be expected. Instead, she is discovered later in the film. While her role may seem minor in comparison to her past work, this film shows her multiple dimensions as an actress and proves she can take on physically and emotionally challenging roles.

This film keeps audience members on the edge of their seats. Hackford does not rely on explosions and other visually stimulating tricks that are typically used in action movies. Instead, the storyline itself serves to keep viewers engaged and the plot sequences move fluidly. Fast cuts during fight scenes show the the intensity of the action taking place, while the progression of Parker’s vengeance scheme forces the audience to pay attention to the details.

However, this film is not for the faint of heart. The R rating is not to be taken lightly as extreme violence is shown. One of the most intense scenes of the film involves Parker hanging from a hotel balcony by a knife that is protruding out of his hand. While violence is typical of and even necessary to the action genre, “Parker” sometimes overdoes it with unnecessarily explicit bloodshed, thereby cheapening the story. The highly detailed plans of the crime bosses, the elaborate heists and the complex relationships between the characters are compelling enough without the exorbitant carnage.

Despite the excessive violence, the film keeps audiences entertained with the combination of an exceptional script and outstanding performances. “Parker” is a crime thriller worth seeing on the big screen.

Email Simpson at [email protected].

Maria Simpson