Soundbite: "The Lost Boy Sessions"

Courtesy of PK

"The Lost Boy Sessions"
PK
PK
paw_t820.pngpaw_t820.pngpaw_t820.pngpaw_t820.png

By Abhay Malik

Imagine a movie scene set during some crazy, festive merrymaking that centers around a sweet love story. That is what PK’s music sounds like. The band’s latest work, “The Lost Boy Sessions” EP, is an example of the finest of this danceable indie rock.

The EP has both positive and negative aspects. On one hand, the music is easy to listen to, impossible not to dance to and undeniably catchy. But it also means that it is not genre-bending, experimental or particularly innovative.

Vocalist Travis Hawley’s lyrics seem to talk about much of the same. The songs all deal with lost love and found love. The lyrics are not too deep or philosophical, but they make for entertaining listening and fit the straightforward, sing-along tone of the EP.

The EP still shines because of the overall execution. While the lyrics can come off as a tad one-dimensional, the songs are wonderfully executed.

The 20-minute, six-song experience, with one previously released song, is fast-paced and full of energy. Hawley’s voice sounds like Robert Smith’s, or a British version of Brandon Flowers’ voice. His tight harmonies are backed by high-tempo drumming and an abundance of double-time hi-hats and jangly, intricate guitars. The songs sound full, and Hawley can clearly sing ““ there is no Auto-Tune here.

“The Lost Boy Sessions” opens with “Berelain.” The song starts off with pounding drums and a euphoric synth-organ melody. The high-energy verses give way to an even more intense chorus.

The song’s fast tempo and Hawley chanting, “So what you waiting for, come down and make your move,” set the tone of the EP: music about getting the girl.

“Seawolves” is definitely one of the catchiest songs on the EP. After it opens with sharp, palm-muted guitars, the verses lead to one of the highlights of the entire album ““ the chorus. Hawley sings, “We’ve been working so hard, I know someday we’ll leave here,” in a gripping melody over the rest of the band’s epic backing “whoas.” Even the drumbeat keeps you hooked, and the end result is an infectious chorus you cannot help but sing along to.

Based in San Luis Obispo, PK is made up of five members hailing from England to Fresno. The band is currently playing shows in California to promote its music, and is even playing at high schools during lunch periods all around the state.

PK made a great choice releasing its latest work as a six-song EP. “The Lost Boy Sessions” is the perfect length for a collection of fast-paced, indie-pop love tunes. It is enough time to enjoy them and too little time to tire of them.

Email Malik at [email protected].

Abhay Malik