Getty Center hosts 'L.A. style'-themed College Night to introduce students to museum's art

By Brittany Taylor

*College Night at the Getty Center
Today, 6 p.m.
Getty Museum, FREE*

The J. Paul Getty Museum is high on a hilltop facing the Santa Monica Mountains and is usually a peaceful atmosphere filled with museum-goers roaming around the large site. But tonight, when the sun goes down, the Getty will be a hot spot for live entertainment, food and art completely devoted to college students.

Tonight, the Getty Museum will host its annual College Night, which gives students access to the 1,200 objects featured in the various galleries at the museum.

The event will also feature a photo booth, a digital scavenger hunt organized by photographer John Divola, tours of galleries lead by curators and a meeting with curator Paul Martineau, who put together the “Herb Ritts: L.A. Style” exhibition.

Getty education specialist Peter Tokofsky said he is most excited for students to enjoy the live artists such as Melanie Pullen, who will be giving a fashion photography demonstration, and student artists giving drawing workshops.

This year’s theme of L.A. style is inspired by the Getty Museum’s current exhibition “Herb Ritts: L.A. Style.”

According to Kate Stimac, a fourth-year political science student and committee member for College Night, Ritts was a Los Angeles photographer famous for his fashion photography. Some of his subjects included Nelson Mandela, Madonna and Jack Nicholson; he also directed a music video for Janet Jackson.

“He’s famous for creating what became known as the “˜L.A. look,’ which is a lot of natural lighting and shadows,” Stimac said.

The exhibition also features black-and-white portraits of models and movie stars who are representations of the ’80s and ’90s. Subjects such as Cindy Crawford display art and commercialism coming together, which is a part of the Los Angeles culture.

According to Aly Holmes, a fourth-year economics student and former Daily Bruin writer who is also on the College Night committee, another exhibit called “Portraits of Renown” will also be featured at College Night.

The exhibit features various approaches to photography, such as the first photographic process, that span from the 1800s to the present, and shows images from the rise of the Polaroid camera.

To continue with the theme of Los Angeles style, the event will also feature food and music that incorporates the style of the city, including taco stands in southern and eastern Los Angeles.

L.A. alternative-indie band Milo Greene and DJ Jordan Meyer will provide live entertainment during the event.

Tokofsky said the College Night is a way to welcome students to the museum and let them know it is a great place to hang out.

“It’s a really special opportunity to show what the Getty can offer all in one night,” Tokofsky said. “It’s a way to introduce that to students, and if they want to come back in the future, then we are putting out the welcome mat.”

Brittany Taylor