Thursday, May 2, 2024

Movie review: Return

Return LLC

paw_t820.pngpaw_t820.pngpaw_t820.pngpaw_t820.pnghalfpaw_t820.png

By Phillip Horlings

Clarificaion: The original version of this movie review was unclear. According to Horlings, Johnson often opts to establish the emotional state of her characters over introducing tired plot points.

Liza Johnson’s “Return” is a brilliant take on a familiar story. A soldier’s return to civilian life has been the subject of countless films, though too often rehashed narratives undermine the complexity of what U.S. servicemen and servicewomen experience upon returning home.

With such a familiar starting point, Johnson could have painted with broad strokes. Instead, subtlety and realism reign supreme in “Return.” The reliefs and struggles of coming home from war are realized in honest, complex fashion ““ not relegated to stock characters and plot devices.

“Return” stars Linda Cardellini (“ER,” “Brokeback Mountain”) as Kelli, a wife, mother and National Guard soldier who comes home from a military tour of duty. Her daughters and husband, Mike, who is played by Michael Shannon (“Take Shelter,” “Boardwalk Empire”), are all too happy to greet her as the family’s life returns to normal: days at a factory job, afternoons at cheer practice and nights out at the bar with the girls.

While the film is not without significant events, “Return” smartly relies on Kelli’s slow and affecting transformation for plot development. The scope and significance of her experience in war distracts her. Day-to-day events become inconsequential, and those she loves become unfamiliar, difficult reminders that many of her colleagues across the globe are having a much worse go of it.

Kelli’s seamless emotional arc sends her into a very believable downward spiral, right into the arms of an Army vet and recovering addict, Bud, who is played by John Slattery (“Mad Men”). Both the comfort of shared experiences and the consequences of letting the past dictate one’s life come into full view, further complicating Kelli’s marriage and grip on reality.

Johnson often opts to establish the emotional state of her characters over introducing tired plot points, and these small, yet stunningly, human moments are what make “Return” so believable.

Toward the beginning of the film, Kelli lovingly kisses her husband’s side as he tries to fix the sink. Later, a tickle fight instigated by Mike as a way to make her smile takes an upsetting turn, simply becoming too much to handle. Little words are spoken, but the viewer sees exactly what is going on.

The result is hyper-realistic. For the running time, viewers have a window into the rust belt, watching as a real family navigates the problems a new generation has dealt with for nearly a decade since Operation: Iraqi Freedom. A strong ensemble and expert direction make “Return” a must-see.

Email Horlings at [email protected].

Phillip Horlings