Winter quarter music preview

By Jessica McQueen

A new year is seen as a time to be open-minded to different perspectives, and there’s no better way to do this than to open one’s mind to some new tunes. With the beginning of 2012 comes the release of albums from artists old and new. Here is a small selection of some forthcoming albums to look forward to this year.

“Human Again”
Ingrid Michaelson
Mom Pop Music*
Jan. 24*

“Human Again” will be indie-pop singer Ingrid Michaelson’s fifth studio album. According to iTunes’ notes on the new album, Michaelson strays from her typical piano and ukulele repertoire to develop fuller sounds accompanied by different instruments such as strings. The first single, “Ghost,” which is already available online, ensures the singer’s tunes still carry the heartfelt lyrics and melodies for which she is known.

“Wonderland”
Steve Aoki
ULTRA/DIM MAK
Jan. 17

“Wonderland” will be DJ and producer Steve Aoki’s debut album, available on iTunes a full week before the LP drops. Singles “Earthquakey People” featuring Rivers Cuomo and “Ladi Dadi” featuring Wynter Gordon give listeners a preview of what to expect on the new album. The LP is full of other promising collaborations with artists including LMFAO, Kid Cudi and Travis Barker and Lil Jon, on tracks titled “Livin’ my Love,” “Cudi the Kid” and “Emergency,” respectively.

“Something”
Chairlift
Columbia/DMZ
Jan. 24

Over three years have passed since electronic pop group Chairlift came out with 2008’s “Does You Inspire You.” Since then, founding member Aaron Pfenning has left the group to pursue other interests. “Sidewalk Safari” and “Amanaemonesia,” the two singles that have been leaked in anticipation of the sophomore album’s release, however, hint that the band’s talent and hazy rhythms that earned it iPod commercial fame (for its hit “Bruises”) are still there.

“Born to Die”
Lana Del Rey
Interscope Records
Jan. 31

Lana Del Rey, who established Internet fame last year with the release of a video for her hit single, “Video Games,” is releasing her debut album. Fans of the soulful crooner, as well as those who have yet to hear her, can already listen to “Born to Die,” another viral single and discover what all the Internet hype is about before the album drops.

“Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded”
Nicki Minaj
Universal Republic
Feb. 14

Nicki Minaj released “Roman in Moscow,” the first single from her upcoming sophomore album, last month. The album will revolve around Roman Zolanski, one of Minaj’s many alter egos who she embodies when she is angry. By the look of the red and black cover of the single and Minaj’s explicit claim that Roman is here to stay, it seems that Minaj and her enraged alter ego are back with a vengeance.

“Reign of Terror”
Sleigh Bells
Mom Pop Music
Feb. 21

Noise-pop duo Sleigh Bells returns with a follow-up album to its 2010 debut “Treats.” The band has already released the single “Born to Lose,” a track that echoes the band’s noisy, disordered aesthetic. Other tracks are titled “True Shred Guitar” and “Road to Hell.” A teaser trailer for the new album posted on the band’s web site flashes clips of singer Alexis Krauss crowd surfing and rocking with bandmate Derek Miller and hints that this album will indeed live up to its name.

“Happy to You”
Miike Snow
Downtown Records/Universal Republic
March 27

Swedish electronic-pop trio Miike Snow is back with a second LP that seems to continue the cheerful beats that made its 2009 debut album successful. The group has released little information on the new album, but a video and music sample (as well as an Alex Metric Remix), titled “Devil’s Work,” is available online and gives listeners a taste of what to expect from the band in the near future.

Jessica McQueen