Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Legendary Canadian folmusician and songwriter Gordon Lightfoot to perform in UCLA’s Royce Hall

Canadian folk legend Gordon Lightfoot will be performing at UCLA’s Royce Hall in a show featured by Larry Shaeffer Presents, Inc.

By Nicolas Curcio

When asked about singer and songwriter Gordon Lightfoot, Bob Dylan once famously said, “Every time I hear a song of his, it’s like I wish it would last forever.”

The 72-year-old Canadian folk legend Gordon Lightfoot will be performing tonight at UCLA’s Royce Hall in a show featured by Larry Shaeffer Presents, Inc. The show will feature Lightfoot’s signature folk-rock sound, which includes an array of acoustic guitars and melodies.

Lightfoot’s musical career has spanned over five decades, and he has achieved international success as a singer and songwriter. Tonight, he will be performing hits including “If You Could Read My Mind,” “Rainy Day People” and “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.”

Lightfoot’s band consists of his bass player Rick Haynes, drummer Barry Keane, keyboardist Mike Heffernan and newly added lead guitarist Carter Lancaster, who replaced longtime band member Terry Clements after his death in February.

“We have to get right back out there and be on stage like we never left it. We try to stay in touch mentally and stay focused,” Lightfoot said.

In addition to landing multiple spots on U.S. charts, Lightfoot has also received 17 Juno Awards and has been made a Companion of the Order of Canada, the country’s highest national honor that a civilian can achieve.

Although his songs have been covered and recorded by world renowned artists such as Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan, Lightfoot said that he believes he is only a small part of a great cast of North American singers and songwriters.

“There are great songwriters all through … North America. The output is tremendous. I guess I’m just a part of that wheel that makes the engine run,” Lightfoot said.

Josh Epport, a second-year music history student, said he believes Lightfoot’s music significantly impacted the modern folk-rock genre.

“Gordon Lightfoot was a huge part of the 1960s folk movement. He is well known for his baritone voice and mastery of the acoustic guitar. I’d even say that his music influenced many folk-pop groups of today, such as Mumford and Sons,” Epport said.

Lightfoot also said he believes that even after decades of playing music, there is always remaining work that needs to be done.

“Musically, there is always room for improvement. We keep that in mind, improving the performances as we go along. We’re always prepared and ready,” Lightfoot said.

According to Lightfoot, he often finds inspiration in talk radio shows and television newscasts.

“It’s a fascinating time in history. There’s a sense of urgency that we gain through osmosis over the newscasts,” Lightfoot said.

Larry Shaeffer, who has worked with Lightfoot for three years, said that he cherishes the relationship that he has developed with Lightfoot.

“He is certainly a genius songwriter and storyteller, and he is 100 percent dedicated to doing the best show that he can at every single performance, which I really admire him for,” Shaeffer said. “It’s been a positive and fruitful experience working with such a fine talent.”

Lightfoot, who has experienced the evolution of music over the past 60 years, said he feels that modern popular music has moved in an admirable direction.

“(The music) is being made exquisitely well. It’s unbelievable how good it sounds. The whole thing just keeps moving up all the time. Everything is perfect ““ the tuning, the tempo, the songs, the energy and the dynamics. It’s all improving as it goes along,” Lightfoot said. “I’m just glad that people are interested enough to listen to my songs.”

Known for his modesty, sense of humor and kindhearted songs, Lightfoot said Los Angeles is among his list of favorite places to perform and that he is looking forward to returning

Nicolas Curcio

Santa Monica 1 Bedroom,1Bath apartment in quiet 4-plex. 4miles from campus. Fully furnished. Calm, quiet, healthy, studious environment. Family owned by Ucla Alum. $2450/mo. Available June 25. Flexible Lease. Summer Sublet Ok. <[email protected]