Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Soundbites: "Room to Run"

Room to Run
States
States and Eggs Records
paw_t820.pngpaw_t820.pngpaw_t820.png

By Elia Rogers

States’ debut album “Room to Run” is something of a time capsule, temporarily transporting listeners back to the mid-2000s with its collection of infectious pop melodies and Mindy White’s vibrant voice.

“Room to Run,” which debuts today, is the highly anticipated release from a band whose members are from some of the last decade’s most popular pop rock bands, including former members of Copeland (Bryan Laurenson, Stephen Laurenson and Jonathan Bucklew), and former Lydia vocalist Mindy White representing the album’s pop rock heritage, as well as Dean Lorenz on bass.

The album opens with “Timebomb,” a song that is simultaneously heavy and light.

Verses are littered with the sounds of a crunchy, somewhat distorted guitar and a chorus that possesses all of the elements of a perfect pop melody. Even the lyrics resemble a power rock anthem fit for a tween pop concert: “I’m like a time bomb rushing around / rushing around / they said we’ll make you right into a star cause that’s what you are.”

The opening track sets the tone for the rest of the album, with almost every song sounding like a rehash of another song in some form or another. It’s a disappointment from a group whose members have proved that they are capable of creating music in the past.

However lackluster the composition and songwriting may be, the level of mastery and musicianship among the members of States is apparent in every song. Each of its members shines, whether it be through the tight percussion rhythms, catchy guitars or vocals.

White’s vocals are undoubtedly the best aspect of the album. Her vocal range is extensive and best showcased on “Everlasting,” which features a brief, but haunting, vocal solo. The song also features a synthesizer that complements the creamy tones of her voice, blending it into the music beautifully.

“As Good As It Gets” is a refreshing break on the album, with its layers of texturally rich instrumentals and White’s voluminous vocal range. White exercises some of her lower vocal tones, which sets her apart from contemporaries such as Paramore’s Haley Williams, to whom she is sometimes compared.

In another nice touch, the song includes piano and acoustic guitar pieces that not only shine through the vocals but are also not heard anywhere else on the album.

“Room to Run” is an infectious and musically precise debut from States that completes what it aims to do: create perfect pop melodies. However, its lack of innovation and perfect recreation of an already overdone genre is a slight disappointment. Despite this, tracks like “Everlasting” and “As Good As It Gets” still warrant a listen.

Elia Rogers