Girls charm the FYF Fest crowd with a set comprised of old favorites and new songs

By Alyssa Stanley

Girls
FYF Fest
Sept. 3
paw_t820.pngpaw_t820.pngpaw_t820.pnghalfpaw_t820.png

Christopher Owens, the frontman of Girls, arrived on Michelangelo’s Stage just shortly after sunset and proceeded to take the festival into a rocking evening all the while sporting bright red pants that complemented the rose bouquets adorning the band’s microphones.

Although the weather was significantly cooler than the festival’s earlier conditions, the dipping temperatures were not enough to cool the excitement of the massive audience that was eagerly waiting to hear the 45-minute set of the Bay Area indie rockers. The band instantly charmed the concertgoers when it began the set with “Lust for Life,” a clear fan favorite and Girls classic.

Concertgoers fed off the energy of Owens’ lively stage antics as they danced and sang in unison to lyrics such as “Oh, I wish I had a beach house” with the scenic downtown Los Angeles nighttime skyline in view.

After pumping up the crowd with “Lust for Life,” Owens began to introduce the latest members of his band that included a brotherly duo in the instrumental section and three new female background soul singers. The newest additions of Girls were all smiles as the fans offered their support with cheers and wolf whistles.

Girls superbly maintained the energy and excitement from the beginning of its set and continued through the rest of its set list, which included songs such as “Laura” and “Hellhole Ratrace” from the band’s first album “Album.” Fans were also treated to a preview of the band’s upcoming second album “Father, Son, Holy Ghost.”

Owens’ vocals in the bluesy tune “Love Like a River” and in “Vomit,” a ballad about lonely nights spent looking for love, were particularly impressive. Another song from the new album, “My Ma,” featured a powerful guitar solo that captured the song’s message about longing for the comforts of home while trying to find oneself in the world at the same time. Overall, Girls’ new material was generally well received by the audience, and it was apparent that the richer, soulful sound of the band is a main factor in its success.

Alyssa Stanley