Punk goes acoustic at Whisky A Go Go

Courtesy of Marc Orrell

By Dan Peel

July 25, 2011 1:25 a.m.

Marc Orrell played lead guitar, accordion, piano and banjo for the Dropkick Murphys from 2000 to 2008. His albums with the band include “Blackout,” “The Warrior’s Code” and “The Meanest of Times.” Rob Steffen was nominated for Best Male Vocalist in the 2008 Orange County Music Awards. His music was featured on the soundtrack for the film “Anacapa.” Both will be playing Tuesday at the Whisky A Go Go. They spoke with Daily Bruin’s Daniel Peel about their careers, musical styles and the qualifications for being a “punker.”

Daily Bruin: Marc, you left the Dropkick Murphys in 2008 to pursue a different musical style. Can you elaborate on that?

Marc Orrell: I’m still in the midst of putting it together. The set that I’m doing at the Whisky is acoustic.

I left Dropkick (Murphys) because I wanted to spend more time writing different styles of music – more electronic and dance – and mixing that with my punk influences. I’ve talked to the Dropkick Murphys a few times and everything’s still cool with them.

Rob Steffen: I found some stuff with you playing electric guitar ““ very sweaty, a lot of teenage girls jumping around onstage. Do you think any of that’s going to translate to an acoustic set for you?

MO: I’m a bit of a chameleon. I come from a punk rock background so I just bang out a couple of chords. But I’ve been trying to jump into a more acoustic set. It doesn’t matter how many people are there for me.

RS: Marc, my whole self-worth depends on how many people are there. I just realized something. You were born in ’88 right?

MO: ’82.

RS: You’re too young to be a real punker.

MO: I’m not a real punker, actually.

RS: We need to settle this right now. I was born in ’73, so that makes me more of a punker.

MO: You can have that crown.

RS: OK, thanks. I feel better now.

DB: Marc, will you be playing any Dropkick Murphys or Black Pacific songs?

MO: They’ll be all originals.

DB: Rob already touched upon this, but there are pictures of you rolling on the ground and jumping in the air for other shows. What is your acoustic performance style?

MO: It’s like going up there with all your clothes off. You’re stripped down naked in that sense and can’t hide behind noise. I don’t think I’ll be rolling around on the ground with an acoustic guitar.

DB: Marc, how long have you been singing for?

MO: I did backing vocals for Dropkick, but I was mostly messing around. I would always be playing in bands and nobody else would sing so I’d be like, “Alright, I guess I’ll just sing.” And (I would) put myself out there like that. It’ll probably sound like a train wreck or foxes killing each other.

DB: How would you define your music style, at least in the acoustic sense?

MO: I get inspiration from a lot of different bands ““ from The Black Keys to LCD Soundsystem to Sleigh Bells to Hank Williams. I’m all over the spectrum of styling. I’ve always had trouble explaining my original stuff. I put it out there and I’ll let (listeners) judge.

DB: Rob, will you be playing the banjo?

RS: Right now, my imagination’s running wild and I want to incorporate all kinds of weird things, but I think it’s just going to be acoustic guitar.

DB: Marc, what do you expect Tuesday’s show to be like?

MO: I don’t really have any expectations. I think it will be fun to get out there and hear some new music and play some of my music. Sometimes if you go into something with few expectations and get something huge out of it, then that’s a bonus.
Email Peel at [email protected].

Dan Peel