Tuesday, June 18, 2024

SJP and UC Divest Coalition Demonstrations at UCLAUCLA chancellor appointment

405 Freeway renovation causes more traffic

A computerized projection of the completed construction on Sunset Bridge. The 405 Freeway construction began at the same time as the Sunset Bridge project. (Credit: Los Angeles Metro)

By Sonali Kohli and Alexia Boyarsky

Correction: The original version of this article contained an error. About 122,000 cars pass through the five-lane street per day.

The stretch of Wilshire Boulevard between Sepulveda Boulevard and the entrance to the 405 Freeway is the busiest part of Los Angeles for vehicles.

About 122,000 cars pass through the five-lane street per day, said Dave Karwaski, UCLA transportation planning and policy manager.

Now, a lane going in either direction has been closed to accommodate the 405 Freeway widening project, to the ire of some daily commuters.

Second-year economics student Sahil Seth lives in an apartment south of Wilshire Boulevard and said his usual two-minute drive to the freeway has become 10 to 20 minutes.

First-year English student Savannah Smith commutes to school every day, and her drive has increased from 20 minutes to an hour at times since the beginning of the construction.
“The construction on Sunset is already bad, and it’s hard to drive on,” Smith said. “You swerve a quarter of an inch to your left and you’re in the next lane.”

The 405 project, which will add a high-occupancy lane and ramps to the freeway, began last year with construction to the Sunset Boulevard bridge. Wilshire Boulevard construction will last until summer 2013.

Los Angeles Metro expects drivers to use alternate routes or commute at different times to avoid traffic, said community relations officer Kasey Shuda.

Metro takes account of large UCLA events and will make sure lanes are open on those days, Shuda said.

For example, construction will be lessened or halted during graduation and move-in days to accommodate the increased traffic.

With reports from Elizabeth Case and Alexia Boyarsky, Bruin reporters.

Sonali Kohli

Furnished studio/bedroom unit w/private bath between UCLA and Santa Monica $1,175 month. Single bus public transport to UCLA or the beach. Txt 1(805)551-9922