Softball to take another swing against the UC Santa Barbara Gauchos

Junior catcher and first baseman Dani Yudin, seen here in the May 22, 2010 game against San Diego State, hit the decisive grand slam in UCLA’s 9-1 win over Ohio.

By Min Kang

UCLA v. UC Santa Barbara, take two.

When the UCLA softball team hosts UCSB in a doubleheader today at Easton Stadium, it will do so as a second attempt, after the previously scheduled two-game series on March 21 between the two teams was postponed because of heavy rain.

No. 7 UCLA (21-5) comes into the matchup in the wake of a dominating 9-1 win over Ohio on Thursday. With Pac-10 play set to begin on Friday, the Bruins have so far been aided largely by the production of their first-year players.

Freshman catcher Alyssa Tiumalu leads the team in hitting with a .444 batting average, while freshman shortstop Kellie Fox is second in the home run department with seven. In the circle, freshman pitcher Jessica Hall has been the workhorse, leading the team with 92 innings pitched. She is 12-4 on the season with a 2.28 earned run average.

Meanwhile, the Gauchos (12-14) come into Westwood in the midst of a five-game losing streak, though freshman contribution has also been their staple. UCSB is led offensively by freshman center fielder McKenzie Kane, who is batting .359. In the circle, the Gauchos will likely go with freshman pitcher Andriana Collins, who is 8-7 with a 3.40 ERA.

The doubleheader marks the first two of an eight-game home stand for UCLA. The Bruins next host the Oregon State Beavers for a three-game tilt.

Compiled by Min Kang, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Min Kang