Bus Stops: Dining options at the Getty Center

By Arit John

Medium Coffee ““ $2.25 tax
Cinnamon Roll ““ $2.95 tax
Bus Fare ““ $3.00
Total ““ $8.70

Eating at the Getty is a little bit like Goldilocks visiting the home of the three bears ““ there are three options, but only one can be just right. If you want something fancy, perhaps a nice crab cake benedict with a hollandaise sauce (made from egg yolks and lemon) for Sunday brunch, then you’ll want to visit the Restaurant, located on the top level of the structure to the right of the Arrival Plaza (if you’re facing toward the museum).

If that sounds a little ridiculous to you, there are also snack bars that serve coffee, pastries and candy. I choose this option but ended up with cold coffee so bitter all the milk and sugar in the world couldn’t save it.

A third option (one I didn’t find until after I’d visited the snack bar) is the Cafe, located on the floor below the Restaurant. Imagine visiting an extremely nice (and slightly overpriced) cafeteria. There are ready-made options like Caesar salad ($5.50), tuna sandwiches ($6.50) and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches ($2.25) as well as hot soup ($3.25 for a bowl and $5.25 for a cup) and areas to order pizza, burgers and lasagna. I didn’t try it, but someday I’d like to know how the roasted sage turkey salad on cranberry-walnut ficelle tastes.

Click here for a complete guide to all the menus as well as the open hours of the Cafe and the Restaurant. Is the Getty food overpriced?

Arit John