Sunday, May 5, 2024

Movie Review: “No Strings Attached”

By Denise Mai

“No Strings Attached”
Directed by Ivan Reitman
Paramount Pictures

paw_t820.pngpaw_t820.pngpaw_t820.pngpaw_t820.png

Let’s be honest: Natalie Portman and Ashton Kutcher make movies people want to see for the simple reason that we want to be them. Portman is no Megan Fox ““ most girls love her, want to be her and aren’t offended that guys want her too ““ and the equivalent holds true for Kutcher. Of course we want to see them in a romantic comedy together, no matter how potentially formulaic it may be.

The plot reads like what Portman’s life would probably be if she hadn’t become a famous actress. An MIT grad and doctor, her character is smart, witty and adorable, but ““ isn’t there always a “but” in romantic comedies? ““ she has major commitment issues. As the other half of the duo, Kutcher’s character stays close to Hollywood as an assistant on a “High School Musical” wannabe show who’s really an aspiring writer who doesn’t want his famous dad to just make a call for him.

Typical setup and the leads’ blockbuster appeal aside, “No Strings Attached” doesn’t make you regret taking the time and effort to watch it. The two have incredible chemistry, with clever, belly-laugh-inducing banter and sweet moments, playing like a real couple in a quasi-relationship. Quirky touches like a “period mix” he makes her for that time of the month (“Sunday Bloody Sunday,” anyone?) are creative and pass the realism test.

Even though Kutcher is a pleasant and excellent foil, Portman is the real star here, since the movie is hard to picture without her. Just as she was shockingly hilarious in her rap on SNL, Portman nails every moment and her humor is utterly unpredictable and refreshingly realistic.

Aside from the leads, the supporting cast members hold their own surprisingly well. The other doctors who live with Portman all get great lines, including Mindy Kaling of “The Office” fame and Greta Gerwig with her bizarre one-liners. Kevin Kline and Lake Bell make memorable if slightly exaggerated appearances too, as Kutcher’s famous TV star father and co-worker with a crush, respectively.

As far as romantic comedies with big stars and obvious plots go, this movie is a highlight in its category for its potential realism, with rare corny moments. Even though most of its requisite big moments are predictable, the lines that go with them aren’t (except for one glaring, groan-inducing exception), making them more bearable. Does “No Strings Attached” re-invent the wheel when it comes to big-name romantic comedies? No. But with its smart humor and well-cast actors, it’s one you wouldn’t mind seeing again.

Denise Mai