Thursday, May 2, 2024

Open mic night amplifies Westwood

"Amplify" Oopen Mic Night
Every second Sunday, 8:30 p.m.
Westwood Brewing Company, FREE

By Stacey Pun

Sundays aren’t a typical night to go out on the town. However, in between finishing forgotten homework, Sundays also offer Bruins the chance to express themselves at “Amplify,” Westwood Brewing Company’s open mic night.

The open mic night, hosted by UCLA alumni Judi Smolker and Sam Goljahi, will take place at Westwood Brewing Company this Sunday from 8:30 p.m. to midnight and is held every second Sunday of the month.

“It’s an opportunity to be heard, and it gives you a chance to find a new passion in performing. I know it has made me more open not only to meeting new people but expressing who I am,” Goljahi said.

Westwood Brewing Company has hosted “Amplify” since February when co-host Smolker and Westwood Brewing Company manager George Workman joined forces to create an event to fill BrewCo’s Sunday evening opening.

“I was approached by George, who is a manager at BrewCo … I’ve actually been doing poetry in L.A. in the open mic night scene for a few years. He was really excited about there being a poetry open mic night thing on Sundays,” Smolker said.

“Amplify” is a traditional open mic night at which anyone can stand up in front of an audience and be heard. There are not only traditional acts, but also a few unusual ones as well, including but not limited to vulgar comedy from middle-aged cabbies and dark monologues from men clad in black.

“There’s poetry, there’s music. It’s kind of a variety of things. I’ve even had people talk about math theories. It’s just kind of like, “˜Expect the unexpected,'” Smolker said.

Improvisational acts, spur of the moment group activities and themed open mic nights ensure that the same show never happens twice.

“We do things like group poems, where everyone contributes a line or two (and) improv games,” Smolker said.

“Amplify” Sundays offer a whole range of performers who, despite being at different stages of their creative careers, all find ways to engage with their audience members.

“I’ve had amazing musicians who just blew me away. One time there was this old blues stylist whose guitar was missing a string. And he was so talented; he just took me to another place. I love it when things that I don’t expect happen,” Smolker said.

Though there is a wide demographic of open mic veterans who attend “Amplify,” UCLA students are actually an underrepresented group at the event ““ something Smolker said she hopes to see change.

“If you’re afraid of getting on stage, it’s a great way to get over it. No one is going to judge you based on your performance,” said Gal Bushy, a third-year cultural anthropology student.

“Kudos to the guy who went up there and did something rather than the person who was too scared, you know? I respect their act.”

According to Smolker, at “Amplify” students have the chance not only to practice on the stage, but also to get to know other performers in an intimate and welcoming environment.

“All of a sudden you’re getting windows of insight into what all these strangers are about, who they are, what they’re passionate about. And that’s really what makes it so special for me.” Smolker said.

Stacey Pun