Women's golf places third in Tennessee

Women’s golf
LSU 1st 843 (-21)
Purdue 2nd 845(-19)
UCLA t-3rd 851 (-13)
USC t-3rd 851 (-13)
Cal 5th 854 (-10)

By Manny Redruello

The UCLA women’s golf team shot its best round of the weekend Sunday, but it was too little, too late as the Bruins finished in third place at the Mason Rudolph Invitational hosted by Vanderbilt.

After teeing off Sunday morning at the Legends Club in seventh place, the No. 2 UCLA climbed four spots following a weekend-best 281 (-9), but ended the tournament in third place with a 54-hole total of 851 (-13).

Freshman Ani Gulugian, playing in just her second tournament for UCLA, led the Bruins and finished in fourth place individually with a weekend total of 209 (-7).
Also in just her second tournament as a Bruin was redshirt sophomore Lee Lopez, who tied for 21st with a score of 214 (-2).

Junior All-American Stephanie Kono, who has played in the tournament the past two years and finished in 20th place both times, tied for ninth place with a score of 211 (-5).

Also competing for the Bruins were sophomore All-American Tiffany Lua, who finished in a tie for 54th place with a score of 223 (+7), and junior Brianna Do, who finished 79th with a score of 231 (+15).

Usually one of the Bruins’ most consistent players, Lua struggled all weekend before she found her groove with four birdies on the final nine holes to finish her weekend with a team-best 68 (-4).

LSU won the event with a score of 843 (-21), while Cal’s Pia Halbig finished in first place individually with a score of 203 (-13).

The Bruins will have nearly a month to practice before they head to Wilmington, N.C., for the Landfall Tradition on Oct. 22.

Compiled by Manny Redruello, Bruin Sports contributor.

Manny Redruello