Fashion Review: Cotton On

“Fashion Review: Cotton On”
web.8.23.CottonOn.Fashionreview.jpg_copy.jpg
paw_t820.pngpaw_t820.pngpaw_t820.pnghalfpaw_t820.png

By Shelley Brown

There is a certain allure about European fashion megastores. I cannot seem to walk into Topshop or H&M without catering to my inner Kate Moss and throwing wads of cash at more outfits than I can usually carry from the store. Cotton On, an Australian megastore that has found its way to Los Angeles, is no different. While it lacks the whimsical glamour of stores like Topshop, it also lacks the pretentious prices, and is a mecca for everything from cotton basics and playful sundresses to sleepwear.

While I like my wardrobe to be eclectic ““ a Coco Chanel meets sugar plum fairy kind of feel ““ every wardrobe needs basics. Just look at the popularity of American Apparel’s basic attire to understand that a tank top is not merely a piece of fabric, but a life necessity. Cotton On takes the casual mindset of American Apparel and makes it accessible to everyone, not just wealthy hipsters.

At the Santa Monica Cotton On, I found $4 leggings to pair with my Urban Outfitters tunics, and tight-fitting gathered sleeve tops to pair with flouncy skirts.

My jaw dropped at discovering camel-colored ankle boots and patent leather low heels for $10. (The store’s Rubi shoe line is only available at the Santa Monica flagship store.) While the faux leather on the boots felt thin, it seemed a trivial complaint given the low price for an extremely versatile accessory, considering the last pair of camel boots I bought were more than $200.

Not everything in the store is ultra-basic, either. There are multitudes of flowy dresses and skirts in cheerful floral prints that perfectly fit the breezy style Los Angeles is known for. I also picked up a pair of cabbage rose-printed pink pajama bottoms with a satin bow for $10. Though an impulse purchase, they were too cute to pass up.

This dangerous “what a deal” mindset is certainly exploited throughout the store. Two-for-the-price-of-one deals seem to be everywhere, and the sale rack starts at $2.

For the glamour girl, lacy ruffled panties that rival the style of Victoria’s Secret are a mere $7 and come in a wide array of delicate colors and show no signs of falling apart. Gold aviators I purchased for $4 have held up for the whole summer, and still have a lovely metallic sheen.

There are a few cons to Cotton On’s inexpensive wear. Most of the cotton fabric is not pre-shrunk and will shrink a size or two once it goes through the wash.

For instance, I bought a simple sundress in an adorable periwinkle print only to wash it and find that wearing it in public would result in an arrest for indecent exposure. The same warning goes for leggings, which may become sheer given a good wash or two.

The store’s “cardigans” are also about as thick as tissue paper, and are hardly substantial enough for even a California winter. In addition to being flimsy, they are also too thin to layer with without stretching out to near transparency.

The age range of the line also seems unclear ““ some pieces are well-cut and catwalk sophisticated, while others seem outdated and are more reminiscent of the playground.

As with every bargain fashion megastore, Cotton On does some things well and other things half-heartedly. It is up to the consumer to be wise about their purchases, and, if possible, avoid falling into the trap of buying everything in sight just because it’s inexpensive.

However, with a good, fashionable head on your shoulders, the racks of Cotton On are worth perusing, especially when living in Westwood has convinced you a $30 cotton tee is a deal.

Shelley Brown