Fashion Review: Zac Posen for Target

By Shelley Brown

There is nothing quite like a Zac Posen ensemble ““ classic yet modern, classy yet undeniably flirtatious. Perhaps this is why Posen has become the go-to designer for celebrities such as Natalie Portman and Gwyneth Paltrow ““ women known for their chic sensibilities. Lucky for those of us without the luster (or the cash) of Hollywood, the New York designer has come to Target stores.

The cocktail dress is what Posen is best known for ““ flowy skirts with tightly fitted bodices in eye-catching colors and prints. Zac Posen for Target translates his signature runway looks without sacrificing the versatile New York style that made him famous.

In the city that never sleeps, an effortless day-to-night ensemble becomes essential, a fashion lesson that busy college students should learn. For instance, the floral brocade party dress complete with an oversized bow and asymmetrical zipper plays with seasonal trends without going overboard ““ this is a dress that can go from graduation to summer garden party.

Posen also plays with texture trends with a gold metallic number and a more demure dress in light blue chambray. The red moto jacket is also surprisingly versatile, the asymmetrical, short cut conducive to both edgy day wear when paired with the Urban Outfitters-like, tiger print tank, and evening looks when thrown on with a dress.

While ensembles in red leather and gold polyester run the risk of becoming futuristic disasters, Posen’s lines are clean and modest, proving you can do almost anything as long as it is in good taste. (See also the vintage-style pleated top gold bikini that is sure to complement a tan.)

In economic times such as these, classic lines and wearable designer pieces become a necessity. The collection also features black tuxedo pants with a matching jacket as well as a ruched pencil skirt and off-the-shoulder sweater dress ““ office essentials that can also be dressed up or down for a night out.

If you are less of a worker bee and more of a girl about town, the black and red tulle cocktail dresses also come with detachable, multilayered, sheer skirts, adjustable depending on how crazy you want to go. If you are feeling understated, take off the skirt for a simple strapless look. If you feel like channeling your inner ’80s debutante, attach the skirt and pay homage to early Madonna.

In the interest of being camp, Posen also offers some delightfully cheeky pieces for the more daring fashionista. The tuxedo bodysuit, for instance, looks like a classier take on a Las Vegas cocktail waitress, while the plastic yellow raincoat with large metal snaps is reminiscent of a more city-savvy version of Paddington Bear.

The collection only falls short when it tries to do too much ““ for instance, the pleated, long-sleeved, pink-and-purple polka dot dress shirt is pattern overkill, just as the pleated tie top with printed vest takes layering trends too far. I am also not a fan of the pink polka dot sundress, a look that is too stiffly Stepford Wife and comes off more a ’50s-style apron than youthful.

The accessories included in the collection are also rather sparse ““ two belts and a scarf. That being said, despite being few in a number, the belts and scarf are well-designed ““ the black leather wrap belt being a definite wardrobe staple.

All in all, Posen’s line is a refreshing take on the trend of “cheap” designer duds (though ask any college student how inexpensive a $79 dress is and they might make you reconsider). By sticking with clean, classic lines, Posen avoids most of the pitfalls of trickle-down fashion, where the outrageousness of couture becomes, simply put, tacky.

Far from tacky, these easy-to-throw-on ensembles are sure to make even the most loyal Angeleno strut like a Fifth Avenue shopper ““ and really, there is nothing more fabulous than that.

E-mail Brown at [email protected].

Shelley Brown