Screen Scene: “From Paris with Love”

By Celina Carroll

Any movie that includes a bald John Travolta and one hoop earring can’t be taken too seriously, as you’ll likely realize going into “From Paris with Love.” But although this shoot ’em up crime thriller features some cheesiness and a few tired lines, it’s not a total waste of time.

James Reece (played by Jonathan Rhys Meyers with a creepy-thin mustache) is a personal aide to a U.S. ambassador in Paris, though what he really longs to do is climb the ranks at his low-level CIA side job. In the middle of a romantic dinner with his beautiful French girlfriend (played by the stunning Kasia Smutniak), Reece gets the call he was waiting for and is told to join his new CIA partner immediately for his first real assignment.

A grinning, cussing, keffiyeh-wearing Charlie Wax (Travolta) turns out to be his partner and CIA special agent. Wax’s worn leather jacket and offensive tactics clash with Reece’s politeness and navy suit. Reece is used to a life of chess-playing and snooty intelligence, and realizes that Wax lives an insanely dangerous life. Cue the classic matchup of the crazy party guy who partners with a nervous, gun-shy apprentice, and you’ve got a pretty common crime duo and the basis of this movie. 

But once the two meet, the movie immediately takes off. Their first day begins with a high-intensity, violent shootout and drug raid, which commences with the partners sniffing cocaine out of a vase as they ride the Eiffel Tower’s elevator.

The plot only gets more ridiculous as the movie goes on, but luckily not in a laughable manner. Action fans will appreciate the fast-paced and creative plotline, as Reece realizes that Wax actually does know what he’s doing. The drug bust ultimately leads them to a terrorist plot, and time is running out as they search for the plan’s main participants.

Wax uses his breakneck instincts to defeat preposterous amounts of men, and slips in several unnecessary racist remarks as they race through Paris. Though Wax is clearly the older of the two, he uses advanced technology while Reece bumbles along and tries to avoid getting killed, all the while worrying about his girlfriend’s phone calls and mocking Wax’s corny one-liners.

Director Pierre Morel keeps “From Paris with Love” looking fresh and compelling, but minus two shots of the Eiffel Tower, it could take place just about anywhere. Rhys Meyers was well-cast, and is entirely believable as the inexperienced CIA agent. He is genuinely awkward as he tries to handle his gun and grapple with the situation at hand and even has a minor meltdown after his first gunfight. His naivete and apprehension are a refreshing change from the cold-blooded heroes often featured in action films.

Though his partner Wax seems to love killing and craziness as much as any action star, Travolta plays the part about as delightfully as you could hope for such an over-the-top caricature. He gets some legitimately remarkable fight scenes and never gets too big-brother on Reece.

The movie’s pace stays relentless, and the love scenes between Reece and girlfriend Caroline are short and sweet. The car chases, explosive belts, bazooka shooting and realistic technology keep you on your toes, and any cliched lines are easily forgotten.

The film does get pretty corny when the pair finally form a friendship, and Wax forces their bromance by saying, “Tell me we’re not a perfect match!” Though it’s a little cheesy, “From Paris with Love” is generally entertaining, and keeps you guessing all the way through. The ending might inspire a slight eye roll, but it would be hard to call this movie boring.

““ Celina Carroll

E-mail Carroll at

[email protected].

Celina Carroll