Monday, May 6, 2024

“˜Post Grad’ hits home for many students

Partially shot at UCLA’s Royce Hall, “Post Grad” follows the life of recent college graduate Ryden Malby (played by Alexis Bledel, second from right).

By Kimberley Wong

For many Bruins and millions of others across the country, the summer after graduating from college is one of constant job-searching, apartment-hunting and other difficulties that come with leaving school and entering the real world. While some may not need a reminder of this bumpy transition, those in search of some self-reflection can look to the aptly-titled film “Post Grad,” which was partially filmed at UCLA and opens nationwide on Aug. 21.

Ingenue Alexis Bledel (“Gilmore Girls,” “The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants”) plays Ryden Malby, an innocent “has-it-all-figured-out” post-grad who finds her plans for the future unexpectedly changing and her dream job further out of reach than she had hoped.

“It’s a big lesson about growing up, about graduating to the next chapter in your life, and I think all of us are learning what’s important in life anyway,” said director Vicky Jenson. “I think it’s interesting how timely the lesson of the movie is.”

In this economically challenging environment, recent grads make their way into the world of making money, paying rent and finding 9-5 jobs.

“It was crazy for this to happen when we have one of the biggest graduation classes the nation’s ever seen at a time when it’s going to be really scary for them,” Jenson said.

The movie tackles prevalent themes: finding a first job, taking parental advice with a grain of salt and discovering love in a best friend.

“It’s something that everyone goes through in a way, when they finish school and how not everyone has a job. Everyone’s thinking about it,” said co-star Zach Gilford (“Friday Night Lights”).

“We had no idea it was going to be so topical, because we shot the film before the economic crisis and recession,” Bledel said.

The story was taken from writer (and UCI grad) Kelly Fremon’s own post-graduation experience of being unemployed and living with her parents.

“I actually started writing this script when I was at home on my parents’ couch after I graduated, and I just felt like the biggest loser and the only loser on the planet,” Fremon said. “I started to find that everybody I knew was going through the same thing, and that’s actually part of why I was really compelled to write (the script). Everyone was coming up against so much friction in the real world and so I guess it was sort of in part for us to all commiserate together.”

The movie kicks off in UCLA’s very own Royce Hall with an all-too-real replication of the graduation ceremony. The portrayal includes everything from the cheesy commencement speaker to the proud-but-over-enthused parents to the anxious and excited students, oblivious to the post-grad obstacles that await them.

“When we started the movie, we knew it was universal that you have these wonderful expectations when you think you know everything in your 20s,” Fremon said. “You think you’ve got it figured out, and it’s just a big lesson when you have to start making your own decisions. Reality kind of hits you in the face.”

As reality strikes for Ryden, she must deal with losing her long-sought-after publishing job to her college nemesis and resort to selling belt buckles and working in luggage sales with her overzealous father (played by Michael Keaton).

Bledel gave insight on playing and relating to her role.

“(Unlike the character) I definitely go with the flow. I don’t stick to a plan with blinders on like Ryden does in the beginning,” Bledel said. “She makes some mistakes. She’s not perfect, which really attracted me to the role. She’s very relatable.”

From the wild job hunts to dealing with boys and pressure from her overly-loving eccentric family (featuring alumna Carol Burnett as a comedic pill-popping granny), Ryden learns to ground herself with the help of her best friend Adam (Gilford).

Adam’s carefree persona resonated with Gilford’s own advice to graduates.

“Just make sure you’re going to be happy wherever you’re going,” Gilford said.

Although “Post Grad” is sure to get some seniors and recent alumni nervous about their futures, the message remains clear: Chill out, because at the end of the day it’s the relationships that matter most.

“I know when I graduated I was like “˜I have to find a job immediately “¦ like, now,’ and then once you do, you realize you’re going to be doing that until you’re 65 at least,” Fremon said. “So take some time. Relax. Don’t be in such a huge rush.”

Kimberley Wong