Three-year degrees offer students a fast track in hard times

By Negar Tehrani

If you’re taking out too many loans to pay for school, a three-year degree program probably sounds like a good idea. And it is.

Some colleges are now offering a solution to the expenses of tuition and to those motivated to graduate early by offering a three-year degree rather than the four-year model. The three-year degree takes after the academic systems already in place at the University of Cambridge and Oxford University in England.

While the four-year model would still be available to students, a three-year program would also be implemented for those majors that can efficiently develop a complete curriculum for three years. The three-year model is not only a good option for those who want to get a heads up in their postcollegiate years but also benefits those who cannot afford another loan for a fourth year of college.

And with the UC budget cuts that may result in fewer classes being offered next year and the 9 percent increase in student fees, a three-year degree may just provide campuses with the solution to meet the demands of a large student population.

Though earning a degree in three years is possible at a campus that runs on a quarter system, other schools may not have the flexibility in unit requirements and coursework in a semester system and may need a three-year degree program.

Moreover, even at a campus such as UCLA, trying to graduate with a double major early or even in the regular four-year period becomes difficult when majors require many classes or their course requirements do not overlap. While there are some majors that can only be completed in four years, those that can be managed within three years should offer such an option.

“It is absolutely possible to complete a Letters and Science degree in three years under the current system, but it is much more difficult for the School of Engineering,” said third-year electrical engineering and applied mathematics student Meghana Reddy.

Reddy said that although she does not believe a three-year option would pose any benefit for students who can already graduate early, having a curriculum tailored for three years would allow a student to obtain her degree, participate in campus activities and still save a year of expenses.

“I would have taken a three-year degree if UCLA had offered it,” said third-year communications studies student Nilufar Boloorchi. “The biggest advantage of a three-year degree is saving money, and that’s really the biggest issue for me.”

Furthermore, the more rigid structure of a three-year degree would motivate students to finish their degrees earlier by eliminating the option of taking “fluff” courses.

Sometimes students take extra courses that do not fill any requirements in order to meet the minimum number of units per quarter because their other required classes are not offered at the time. A three-year curriculum could avoid the time taken up by these courses.

Some may argue that the idea of compacting degree requirements into three years may compromise the quality of education, while others would just rather spend another year enjoying college life than jump into the job market.

“Having already been in a position to graduate early, I would not be interested in a three-year program,” Reddy said. “For a student with either professional or higher-academic aspirations, I feel that four years is optimal for exploring future paths. At least personally, I needed that much time.”

Though four years of college gives you extra time to research a potential career and provides time for resume building, graduating early frees up more time for non-scholastic interests.

For students who attend campuses without a three-year degree option but who would like to get an edge on graduate school or travel abroad, a year to explore nonacademic options can be accommodated with a three-year degree.

E-mail Tehrani at [email protected]. Send general comments to [email protected].

Negar Tehrani