Ethnicity should be counted

By Negar Tehrani

Other than my untanned legs, I don’t consider myself white. The same goes for many other students, who have to choose an incorrect or ambiguous ethnic category to identify with when they apply to colleges.

Middle Eastern students, like myself, have been stumped since the beginning of our application-filling days about why a category representing our ethnic group does not exist on college forms.

Instead, we are confusingly directed by high school and college counselors to mark “Caucasian/White” or resort to the always sufficiently-vague category, “Other.”

Active UCLA students, such as the Iranian Student Group, have led campaigns promoting the inclusion of the Middle Eastern category on college applications.

Not representing Middle Eastern students on forms as important as college applications belies a lack of awareness, tolerance and respect by campuses and admissions offices. It also detracts from the inclusion of such students in minority categories that would otherwise receive social and economic aid.

Moreover, that campuses like the UCs don’t provide such options for
correct ethnic identification diminishes their credibility as schools
that boast diversity awareness. It’s not easy for students to embrace
their cultural identity when their school doesn’t even recognize it.

“Not having a category for my ethnicity makes me feel a little bit left
out,” said fourth-year pre-med and Spanish student Brian Bensadigh, who
is of Iranian descent. “Because when someone asks me what’s your
ethnicity, I’ll say “˜Persian’ despite the fact that I was born in
America and I’m an American. I’m proud of my ethnicity, and I don’t
want it to go unnoticed.”

UCLA is located in a city where the population consists of many Arabs, Israelis, Iranians and other people of Middle Eastern descent. To not have a count of these students makes UCLA appear inconsiderate and backwards in terms of cultural maturity.

According to an article in the Los Angeles Times, “There is no count of Middle Easterners at UCLA. Student groups estimate that there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of Persians and Arabs among the more than 40,000 students on campus.”

Furthermore, the fact that Middle Easterners are not included in campus census counts holds negative implications beyond ethnic negligence. Not having a count of Middle Eastern students not only means limited research on this ethnic group, but also that they are not considered a minority. In fact, it’s as if they are not considered at all.

In other words, if a student of Middle Eastern descent labels himself or herself as “white,” there is a strong possibility that admissions may not apply the same consideration it does when selecting students of various backgrounds based on social and economic needs.

Of course, some Middle Eastern names can give a clue about a student’s ethnicity. (Anyone who knows their Iranian geography could make a solid guess where I’m from.) However, playing a guessing game of names when it comes to admission is not a sufficient criterion to maintain diversity at UCLA. Instead, students must rely on conveying their cultural differences by forcing them into personal statements, resumes or whatever leftover space they can find in applications.

Wanting ethnic representation on college applications is not new for students of Asian descent involved with the Asian Pacific Coalition’s “Count Me In” campaign, which successfully fought for the addition of 23 ethnic categories on UC admissions applications. With students from activist groups like the Iranian Student Group working to implement change, perhaps our goals will also be achieved.

UC administrators acknowledge UCLA groups’ campaigning. In an interview with the Los Angeles Times, Nina Robinson, director of policy for the Department of Student Affairs, said news of change may be available in about six months.

Until that change is made, we’ll just have to blend in with the limited ethnic spectrum set by admissions offices on applications.

If you had an identity crisis while filling out an application, e-mail Tehrani at [email protected]. Send general comments to [email protected].

Negar Tehrani