Notre Dame needs to grow up, put differences aside and let Obama speak

By Negar Tehrani

Not everything is associated with a political agenda. That includes having President Obama speak at the commencement at Notre Dame in May, despite the angst expressed by some Notre Dame students and faculty.

Students and staff disagree about having a president who supports abortion rights speak at a Catholic campus.

Although some at the university want to preserve the tradition of inviting a newly elected president to give a speech at their commencement, others view Obama’s potential presence as a threat to the morals of the Catholic institution.

The invitation extended to Obama should not be seen as a political attempt to convince students and faculty to become pro-abortion-rights but rather as a ceremonial tradition in which an inspiring leader encourages students to use their acquired education to expand their futures.

Moreover, the fact that an invitation based on tradition sparks such outrage demonstrates the existing tension in the relationship of state and religion, especially in an educational environment.

There is also opposition to the university’s tradition of presenting a presidential commencement speaker with an honorary degree, which symbolizes the acceptance of the speaker as part of the school.

Some Catholic leaders are denouncing this symbolic gesture either by boycotting the ceremony or by quoting a statement released by bishops five years ago: “The Catholic community and Catholic institutions should not honor those who act in defiance of our fundamental moral principles. They should not be given awards, honors or platforms which would suggest support for their actions.”

In other words, Obama’s support for a woman’s right to abortion serves as “an act of defiance” to the university’s Catholic morals. The invitation was further denounced in a letter to Notre Dame by Bishop Thomas Olmsted of Phoenix, who called the school’s invitation “a public act of disobedience” to U.S. bishops, according to The Associated Press.

Though Obama’s pro-abortion-rights platform does not adhere to the Catholic principle of preserving all human life, I don’t think the president formed his political stance as a purposeful attempt to oppose the Catholic Church.

Rather than viewing the invitation extended to Obama as a sign of respect for the change in national leadership, the unnecessary arousal of controversy taints the school’s tradition of inviting new presidents, as well as the purpose of having a speech at a commencement.

After all, a university is still a place of learning that should support the expansion of thought, tolerance and open-mindedness. Besides, Obama won’t be there to campaign for abortion rights, but rather to congratulate the graduates on their accomplishments.

Instead of focusing on the religious dissimilarities between the university and the president, would-be dissenters should aim to highlight the pro-life stance they share with Obama.

“Abortion is a hard topic in the Catholic Church,” said Gabe Gomez, a second-year biochemistry student and one of the 12 student leaders of the Catholic Students Association at UCLA. “Catholics are supposed to be pro-life. But to be pro-life means to be more than anti-abortion. It means caring about others and the less fortunate. I believe President Obama stands for things other than abortion that support pro-life.”

In fact, if a university as religious as Notre Dame accepted a speech by a political leader with whom it disagreed about abortion, the school would only add to its maturity and prestige in respecting difference of opinion.

“As long as (Notre Dame makes) it clear that they’re not condoning (Obama’s) position on the abortion issue, they shouldn’t ban him,” said Josef Leveratto, a second-year political science student and another student leader of the Catholic Students Association.

“I think it would be an honor to have any president at your graduation. Even though we don’t agree, I think the president should still be able to speak,” Leveratto said.

I have heard some say that a compromise can be reached by allowing Obama to speak but not presenting him with an honorary degree. That way, the university averts the problem of accepting him as a part of the school.

This scenario is not only childish but also fails to address the real issue that politics and religion must still iron out their conflicts in an educational setting. Obama is a political figure, not a religious one. It’s like refusing to give a political science student a diploma because he doesn’t perfectly agree with all of Notre Dame’s religious doctrines.

The school needs to realize that it’s still an academic institution, and it should be honored to have any president speak at its commencement. Notre Dame had problems with former President George W. Bush speaking at the school after he gave a speech about the breakdown of family in 2001, but he still spoke there. It seems like the school won’t be satisfied until the pope comes to give a speech instead.

E-mail Tehrani at [email protected]. Send general comments to [email protected].

Negar Tehrani