Take a break from UCLA in la-la land

By Christie McCollum, Devon McReynolds, Paige Parker, and Kate Stanhope

During the much needed week of relaxation know as spring break, the tens of thousands of students who call themselves Bruins vary widely on what constitutes the perfect spring break. Some venture to Mexico by cruise, others explore Northern California by road trip, and a portion of the rest just travel home to enjoy some much needed sleep with a side of mom’s meatloaf. For those who find yourself in Los Angeles next week, Daily Bruin A and E has planned out each day of the entire would-be school week with some of the most interesting and choice things to do in our traffic-congested (yet still exciting) city.

Monday

Kick the break off on a positive note by exploring the comedy Los Angeles has to offer ““ which is a lot.

The chuckles can begin with the bromance comedy “I Love You, Man,” opening this Friday and starring some of our favorite funny guys, Paul Rudd and Jason Segel. If it’s anything like the pair’s last hit comedy, “Forgetting Sarah Marshall,” laughs are guaranteed.

Keep that smile intact by checking out one of the many nighttime comedy shows. “Latino Night” at The Laugh Factory in West Hollywood begins at 8 p.m. on Mondays, and stars Joey Medina, one of “The Original Latin Kings of Comedy.” Entry is $20. For improv fans, Upright Citizens Brigade holds its $5 Harold Night featuring some of the best improv troupes in the area.

Still feelin’ funny? Top off the night with the clubbing event Mustache Mondays ($5) at La Cita in downtown Los Angeles. It goes from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. and features a drag show at midnight, guest DJs and choreographed dancing. Mustaches aren’t mandatory, but are strongly encouraged.

Tuesday

Don’t forget to add a little multicultural spice to your break by first stopping by the UCLA Hammer Museum at noon for a free screening of contemporary Chinese artist Wang Qingsong’s first video, “Skyscraper.” Qingsong, who photographs subjects of political and social interest in China, chose the subject of “Skyscraper” to be the captivating building process of a 35-meter-high skyscraper in China.

After checking Chinese culture off your to-do list, drive to one of the 16 taco spots in Los Angeles chosen for the Taco Madness 2009 LA Taco Tournament. Taco enthusiasts have chosen the taco places ““ ranging from King Taco to Kogi BBQ to Tito’s Tacos ““ based on taste, fame and authenticity. After some taste-testing, you can be the food critic by voting at the tournament’s Web site: lataco.com.

If the tacos whet your appetite for Mexican culture, make your way to the USC Annenberg School for Communication for the exhibit “Cerca de la Cerca: Near the Border Fence,” which features photographs by Maria Teresa Fernandez that document the subject of life and death on the border between Mexico and the U.S.

Wednesday

While we haven’t quite hit June, classic summer activities can definitely be faked until then.

There’s nothing more reminiscent of a childhood summer than spending a balmy evening biking around outside with your friends and making fun of carnies. Bike down Montana Avenue to Santa Monica, a smooth, leisurely route that features a rare commodity in Los Angeles ““ an actual bike lane! Head south along Ocean Avenue to the Santa Monica Pier and check out the admission-free Pacific Park, where you can ride the world’s only solar-powered Ferris wheel for two tickets at $4 and indulge in a massive piece of funnel cake for $7. Watch the sun set over the ocean before riding back to Montana Avenue, and catch a sneak preview of the carnival-centric comedy “Adventureland” at the Aero Theater at 7:30 for $8.

Thursday

There’s more to Sunset Boulevard than Hollywood grime. For a more peaceful and recession-friendly outing, head west on Sunset instead. Tucked away in Pacific Palisades you’ll find Temescal Canyon, a mountainous chaparral with sweeping views of the coastline. The hike begins near the northern terminus of Bienveneda Avenue (heading west on Sunset, turn right on Bienveneda and follow it until the guard gate) and continues up through an unexpectedly lush landscape. Hike about an hour to find the waterfall and hidden creek, then pause for a picnic lunch on the way back.

After you leave the canyon, continue west on Sunset until you reach the Self Realization Fellowship Temple at Lake Shrine, on the south side of the road just before Pacific Coast Highway. Stroll slowly around the lake; meditate in the pantheist windmill chapel, and take in the beauty of the gardens surrounding the Mahatma Gandhi World Peace Memorial.

When you’re ready, enjoy a scenic drive as you head north on Highway 1. Stop at Carbon Beach in Malibu. The skinny strip of sand makes for an intimate beach experience, perfect to lay a blanket down and watch the sun set over the Pacific. Then drive north several more miles until you reach Malibu Seafood. You haven’t spent money all day, so indulge guilt-free: The fish and chips are always a favorite. The perfect end to a peaceful day.

Friday

The mysteries of Los Angeles are as endless as the ways to investigate them. Start the day off with a hike up to the Hollywood sign, a site so soaked in historical and legendary gravitas, it’s too cool to be a cliche even for the most hardened Angelenos. Take the route around Lake Hollywood for prime views of the sign and the sprawling city below, but there are additional elements of mystique to this man-made reservoir itself. Several scenes from Roman Polanski’s “Chinatown” were filmed here, and it’s rumored that the buildings down by the water are haunted.

To complement your exploration of Los Angeles’ mysteries, head to the Silent Movie Theater on Fairfax at 7:15 p.m. Two films will be screened that explore the eerie underbelly of the city as part of its “Hollywood Gothic” series, Billy Wilder’s 1950 classic “Sunset Boulevard” and David Lynch’s macabre “Mulholland Dr.”

End the night at the 24-hour Jewish deli, Canter’s, right down the street. While the pastrami sandwiches are awesome, the people-watching is better, especially late at night. Don’t be surprised if you see Lynch himself ““ or more likely, someone who could be a strange character in one of his films.

E-mail them at [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected].

Christie McCollum