Softball excited to kick off new season

By Min Kang

The UCLA softball team begins its quest for a 11th NCAA title today as host of the eighth annual Stacy Winsberg Memorial Tournament, facing off against Pacific at 4:30 p.m. at Easton Stadium, followed by a game against Purdue at 7:00 p.m. The team will then play Cal Poly San Luis Obispo and Indiana on Saturday and wrap up tournament play against San Diego State on Sunday.

Ranked fourth in both the National Fastpitch Coaches Association and USA Softball preseason polls and selected first in the Preseason Pac-10 Coaches’ Poll, the Bruins couldn’t be any more ready to kick off the season.

“I’m really excited about the start of the season,” coach Kelly Inouye-Perez said. “We’ve been ready since the end of the season last year and wanting to get right back out there and play again.”

As eager as they are, the Bruins won’t be facing any powerhouse teams in these first five games.

Led by Casey Goldsand at the plate and Chelsea Engle in the circle, Pacific finished last season 25-34 overall and 7-14 Big West last season. The Tigers come into the 2009 season selected fifth in the Big West Preseason Coaches Poll.

Purdue made quite a run in 2008, going 35-23 overall and 9-9 in Big Ten play, capped off by its first-ever NCAA Tournament appearance and victory to boot. The Boilermakers also received votes in the 2009 NFCA Preseason Poll, though they have never been ranked in their 15-year history.

Likewise, Cal Poly made some strides of its own the past season, going 24-22 and 12-9 in the Big West and capturing the first Big West title in the program’s history. This season, the Mustangs return five All-Big West honorees and are tied for third in the Big West Preseason Poll.

Indiana comes in hoping to erase memories of a difficult 2008 with a 16-33 record overall and a 6-12 record in Big Ten play. The team returns three of the pitchers from last year but have a first-year coach, Michelle Gardner, at the helm.

Perhaps the Bruins’ biggest challenge will come from San Diego State, a team that finished last season 44-17 and 15-5 in the Mountain West, while setting or tying 11 school records and winning its conference for the fourth time in seven seasons.. Returning eight starters, the Aztecs are tied for first in the Mountain West Preseason Poll and ranked 25th in the NFCA poll.

Despite the thrills that encircle a season opener, the Bruins understand that they are in the early stages of the year, and as such, will stick with a simple game plan for now.

“All we have to do is stay true to our mechanics,” sophomore shortstop Monica Harrison said. “As long as we play one pitch at a time, we’ll be fine.”

Min Kang