Porn industry needs no money

By Negar Tehrani

Apparently none of us can live without sex. At least that’s what Joe Francis, one of the biggest adult-entertainment producers in the industry, claims.

In a recent press release, Francis, along with Larry Flynt, creator of “Hustler” magazine, requested a $5 billion bailout from the federal government due to the weakening economy. According to an article by the LA Daily News, Francis justified his request for financial support by saying, “The government’s handing out money to the auto industry. Why shouldn’t it hand some to an industry the nation could not live without?”

I’m no biology student, but I really don’t think that people who are dealing with tough economic conditions are going to die because the porn industry has experienced a reduction in its profits. This may come as a surprise to men like Francis or Flynt, who make millions each year by exploiting others, but people are not going to die from not purchasing their products: They’re going to die because they can’t afford to keep their homes or buy enough groceries to feed their families.

Whether the porn industry made the request for funds in sincerity or as a tasteless method for publicity does not matter. The fact that it has the audacity to both ask for taxpayer dollars and compare itself with useful industries demonstrates how little the adult entertainment industry understands and respects the difficult circumstances of the American people.

That the porn industry compares itself with auto companies that employ millions of hardworking people is simply appalling. At least the auto industry employs people who can produce more efficient and eco-friendly cars that will make the bailout worthwhile, while helping the environment.

Moreover, as though ranking the need for the porn industry with auto manufacturing weren’t ludicrous enough, Flynt attempted to play doctor by stating, “People are too depressed to be sexually active. This is very unhealthy as a nation. Americans can do without cars and such, but they cannot do without sex.”

Yes, because sex will drive people to work and school everyday.

The porn industry’s request comes at a time when state governments, like California’s, threaten students with reduced financial aid in the form of Cal Grants and as the national government does so with reduced Federal Pell Grants. In light of students’ inability to take out and pay their loans, considering the instability of banks, does the porn industry really expect its request to be taken seriously?

The money requested by the porn industry can go toward helping people obtain stable jobs. When a 22-year-old porn star like Jenna Presley is having trouble surviving because she’s being paid $1200 for a scene instead of $2000, one is forced to ponder what this young girl will do once she hits 40 and her services are no longer desired. The prospects of her future grow even sadder knowing that she graduated high school with honors in the hopes of becoming an anchorwoman.

And the adult entertainment industry wonders why the government shouldn’t award it a bailout when girls like Presley could have secured an education with the money the industry requested.

If the porn industry really needs financial help, maybe it should cut back on its expenses. Even Presley admitted that the bailout request by Francis and Flynt is “a little crazy.” Instead of a federally-funded bailout, she suggests that the companies reduce unnecessary costs. I guess with her savvy approach to business she could have gone to college after all.

Nevertheless, the adult entertainment business may have many reasons why it asked for a bailout. Maybe it’s because people realized that it’s winter and they need some clothing. Maybe Flynt, Francis and other executives are strapped for cash. If Flynt and Francis really are in such a bad financial situation that they find themselves in foreclosed homes (like those who actually can’t pay their mortgages) or without a car to sleep in because the auto industry goes bankrupt, maybe they can move in with “The Hef.” I hear he lives in a mansion.

If you have a solution to help out the porn industry, e-mail Tehrani at [email protected]. Send general comments to [email protected].

Negar Tehrani