Friday, July 5, 2024

Pro Bruin Rundown: Holiday wins NBA championship, current and former Bruins to compete in Olympics

Former UCLA men’s basketball guard Jrue Holiday looks to pass the ball around a defender. Now a member of the Boston Celtics, Holiday won his second NBA championship against the Dallas Mavericks. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Ava Abrishamchian

This post was updated June 30 at 10:07 p.m.

As UCLA Athletics takes a break for the summer, professional sports are still in full swing, with many Bruin alumni representing. Each week during the summer, Daily Bruin Sports will take a look at the standout performances of former UCLA greats from the past week as we count down the days until fall.

Men’s basketball: Jrue Holiday

Jrue Holiday was a magnet during the 2024 NBA championship.

As Holiday drew fouls, sunk 3-pointers and collected loose balls for the Boston Celtics, the Dallas Mavericks failed to thwart Holiday’s playmaking as the clock wound down. The former UCLA men’s basketball guard caught wind and rode it all the way to his second NBA title June 18.

Holiday was no stranger to the bottom of the net throughout the five-game series – nailing deep shots all around the 3-point line amid stifling defense.

Touted as one of the league’s best two-way players, Holiday outmaneuvered and outfoxed his opponents. As a Bruin, Holiday started every game of his sole season, averaging 8.5 points, 3.8 rebounds and 3.7 assists per game.

After helping his team to the round of 32 in the NCAA Tournament and being selected to the Pac-10 All-Freshman Team, Holiday was selected by the Philadelphia 76ers with the 17th overall pick in the 2009 NBA Draft.

While he began his NBA career with the 76ers, Holiday won his first championship with the Milwaukee Bucks in 2021.

However, his professional grandeur would not stop there. After being traded to the Celtics in 2023, Holiday earned his second ring this year after defeating the Mavericks. Alongside teammates forward Jayson Tatum and guard Jaylen Brown, Holiday brought experience and leadership that helped end Boston’s 16-year championship drought.

Men’s soccer: Tucker Lepley, Ryan Hollingshead

(Daily Bruin file photo)
Former UCLA men’s soccer midfielder/forward Ryan Hollingshead prepares to kick the ball. Hollingshead is now a member of Major League Soccer’s Los Angeles Football Club. (Daily Bruin file photo)

The beginning of the week dawned a new era for former UCLA men’s soccer midfielder Tucker Lepley – who earned his first career Major League Soccer start for the Los Angeles Galaxy.

In his first start, Lepley kept the pitch organized to help spearhead a first half clean sheet for the Galaxy.

Lepley is not unfamiliar to being in a starting lineup. Having started all 18 games in his final season for the Bruins, Lepley helmed his team’s efforts to clinch the Bruins’ first Pac-12 title since 2014.

After 41 starts spanning three seasons in Westwood, Lepley was drafted in the third round by the Galaxy in February 2024.

Like Lepley, another former Bruin saw the pitch during last weekend’s matchups – Ryan Hollingshead. The former Bruin midfielder/forward started and scored in his match for the Los Angeles Football Club against the San Jose Earthquakes.

Hollingshead was named to Top Drawer Soccer’s National Team of the Season during his time as a Bruin, racking 69 starts during his collegiate career and becoming team captain in his final year.

As the Bruin alumni gear up for their respective new eras on the pitch, their tenure and experience are right behind them to lead the way.

Women’s Softball: Jadelyn Allchin

(Darlene Sanzon/Assistant Photo editor
Former UCLA softball outfielder Jadelyn Allchin hits the ball during a game in Easton Stadium. Allchin signed to compete in the AU Pro Softball Championship on Wednesday. (Darlene Sanzon/Assistant Photo editor

Former UCLA softball outfielder was one of four athletes from the AUX roster to be offered a contract to compete in the 2024 AU Pro Softball Championship.

Allchin secured six starts in her rookie AUX season, competing for Team Wiggins, Team Edwards and Team Mazon in the first, second and third series, respectively. In Team Wiggins’ final game of the second series, Allchin seized a sliding grab in the seventh inning that earned her Defensive MVP honors. Through her six duels, she posted a .292 batting average with seven hits and one stolen base.

During her time at UCLA – a one-year stint that followed a three-year tenure at Washington – Allchin garnered an All-Pac-12 Second Team honor, highlighted by 87 putouts and a .989 fielding percentage.

After serving as coach Kelly Inouye-Perez’s primary outfielder in Westwood, Allchin will compete among the world’s 60 best professional softball players in the fifth edition of the tournament in just under a month.

Men’s water polo: Chase Dodd, Ryder Dodd, Max Irving

(Daily Bruin file photo)
Former UCLA men’s water polo attacker Max Irving swings his arm back to throw the ball with his right hand. (Daily Bruin file photo)

The past, present and future of UCLA men’s water polo will make an appearance in the upcoming 2024 Paris Olympics.

Former Bruin attacker Max Irving will be making his second Olympic appearance. During his time as a Bruin, Irving had 78 starts, earning First Team All-America and First Team All-NCAA Tournament honors during his redshirt senior season.

Leading UCLA in steals in his fourth year, Irving left his mark on the program and has carried his experience into the professional tier.

Irving – the past – will meet the present in rising senior attacker Chase Dodd.

(Daily Bruin file photo)
UCLA men’s water polo rising senior attacker Chase Dodd raises the ball in the air. Dodd and his brother, Ryder Dodd, will be the first pair of brothers to represent Team USA in the Olympics in 36 years. (Daily Bruin file photo)

In his first two seasons in Westwood, the Long Beach, California local racked up a plethora of accolades – including a spot on the 2022 All-MPSF Second Team and an All-American honorable mention the same year.

During his tenure at UCLA, Dodd was top three on the team in both scoring and assists.

After proving himself a pivotal force for the Bruins, Dodd took the 2023 season off to train for the Olympics.

Following in his older brother’s footsteps, freshman attacker Ryder Dodd will also join Team USA during the Olympics – competing in one of the world’s most celebrated sports competitions prior to the official start of his collegiate career at UCLA.

Ryder Dodd and Chase Dodd will be the first pair of brothers to make a U.S. Olympic roster since 1988.

Ava Abrishamchian

Large furnished room w/private bath between UCLA and Santa Monica. Only $995 per month includes 25% summer discount. Single bus public transport to UCLA or the beach. Txt 1(805)551-9922