Wednesday, June 26, 2024

SJP and UC Divest Coalition Demonstrations at UCLAUCLA chancellor appointment

Pro-Palestine protesters set up 3rd solidarity encampment in Dickson Plaza

Protesters set up tents and equipment as part of a third pro-Palestine encampment on campus. (Darlene Sanzon/Assistant Photo editor)

By Dylan Winward

This post was updated June 10 at 11:16 p.m.

Pro-Palestine protesters set up a third encampment Monday afternoon in Dickson Plaza.

The protesters set up tents and barricades on the western end of Dickson Plaza around 3:15 p.m. Organizations including Students for Justice in Palestine at UCLA previously called on protesters to rally in Bruin Plaza at 2 p.m. before marching around campus.

Earlier in the day, protesters marched to Murphy Hall carrying fake bloody mummies and body parts while listing the names of Palestinians who have died in the Israel-Hamas war, chanting, “We will honor all our martyrs.”

The move follows the forceful dismantling of a similar pro-Palestine encampment by law enforcement on the morning of May 2, after the university declared the encampment unlawful April 30. Protesters also established a second encampment in Kerckhoff Plaza on May 23, though participants voluntarily dispersed later that day.

UCLA Media Relations did not respond in time to requests for comment on the protest.

UCPD officers detained the Undergraduate Students Association Council President Adam Tfayli around 3:50 p.m. Tfayli, who was in Kerckhoff Hall around 4:35 p.m., declined to comment.

An individual – believed to be Tfayli – was arrested for interfering with a police officer, cited and released outside Royce Hall, according to a statement released by UCPD at 10:54 p.m.

This is a developing story, and more information will be provided as it becomes available.

Contributing reports by Sam Mulick, Shiv Patel and Maya Vibhakar, Daily Bruin staff.

Dylan Winward | News editor
Winward is the 2023-2024 features and student life editor. He was previously a News reporter for campus politics and features and student life. He is also a second-year English literature and statistics student.

Cheviot Hills furnished room for rent. $1500/month, a double room with bathroom [email protected]