Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Janiah Barker rounds out women’s basketball’s trifecta of top three recruits

Sophomore forward Janiah Barker prepares to block an offensive play. Barker announced her transfer to UCLA earlier this week. (Courtesy of Ethan Mito/Texas A&M Athletics)

By Lauryn Olina Wang

This post was updated May 29 at 11:06 p.m.

The Bruins captured the No. 1 class of 2022 recruit – sophomore center Lauren Betts – in last year’s offseason.

The Stanford transfer teamed up with sophomore guard Kiki Rice – the No. 2-ranked recruit.

Now, UCLA women’s basketball has rounded out its trifecta.

Texas A&M sophomore forward Janiah Barker announced via Instagram on Tuesday that she will join Betts and Rice in Westwood. The former No. 3 recruit originally committed to Georgia under coach Joni Taylor but then followed Taylor to Texas A&M to begin her collegiate journey. Barker was the highest-ranked recruit in Texas A&M history, emerging onto the NCAA scene as a former WBCA, McDonald’s and Jordan Brand All-American.

https://www.instagram.com/iamjaniahbarker/

Despite missing 10 games due to injury, Barker earned SEC All-Freshman honors and was the sole freshman to pace their team in scoring. Across two seasons as an Aggie, Barker averaged 12.4 points and 6.9 rebounds in 25.1 minutes.

In February, Barker notched a season-high 21 points against LSU – the same team UCLA fell to in the Sweet 16. She started all but three games for the Aggies and saw action in the postseason through the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

UCLA saw the departure of a few Bruins in its frontcourt following its season. Sophomore forward Christeen Iwuala – who averaged 3.6 points and 3.1 rebounds in 11.8 minutes per game last season – transferred to Mississippi, and fellow sophomore forward Lina Sontag announced via Instagram on May 6 that she plans to return to Germany to pursue her aspirations in professional basketball and the medical field.

Senior forward Emily Bessoir posted a similar graphic on Instagram a month prior, alluding to her plans to retire her UCLA jersey. Additionally, in February, senior forward Izzy Anstey announced that she would medically retire despite her remaining NCAA eligibility.

Barker marks the third UCLA transfer this offseason and the first external to the Pac-12, following Washington State senior guard Charlisse Leger-Walker and Oregon State sophomore forward Timea Gardiner.

With the addition of Barker, the Bruins’ ceiling may prove to be even higher.

Lauryn Olina Wang | Sports senior staff
Wang is currently a Sports senior staff writer on the women’s basketball, men’s basketball, NIL and football beats. She was previously an assistant Sports editor on the women’s basketball, men’s soccer, men’s golf and track and field beats, reporter on the women’s basketball beat and contributor on the men’s and women’s golf beats. Wang is also a fourth-year history major and community engagement and social change minor.

Large furnished room w/private bath between UCLA and Santa Monica. Only $995 per month includes 25% summer discount. Single bus public transport to UCLA or the beach. Txt 1(805)551-9922