Wednesday, June 19, 2024

SJP and UC Divest Coalition Demonstrations at UCLAUCLA chancellor appointment

‘A dream come true’: How Gabriela Jaquez joined UCLA softball

UCLA women’s basketball’s Gabriela Jaquez claps. The sophomore forward joined the UCLA softball team as a pinch runner for the NCAA tournament. (Aidan Sun/Daily Bruin)

By Felicia Keller

This post was updated May 29 at 10:58 p.m. 

Gabriela Jaquez was doing homework when she got a call on Mother’s Day.

UCLA women’s basketball director of operations Pam Walker had an offer – the chance to add another Division I sport to the sophomore forward’s resume.

UCLA softball coach Kelly Inouye-Perez wanted another pinch runner on the roster ahead of the NCAA tournament, and she turned to the “Bruin Family” to find one. Jaquez met with the coaching staff, and the next day, she was added to the Bruins’ roster.

Inouye-Perez thanked women’s basketball coach Cori Close for allowing Jaquez to join her team.

“Shoutout to Cori for being such a Bruin and allowing Gabs to be able to be a part of us,” Inouye-Perez said. “We’re very fortunate, very grateful that Cori could share her superstar with us.”

Since Jaquez’s addition, the Bruins have won both their regional and super regional, earning a spot in the Women’s College World Series.

The first game of the super regional – an 8-0 run-rule walk-off win – featured Jaquez’s first appearance on a box score.

In the fifth inning, with UCLA up 3-0, catcher Sharlize Palacios was hit by a pitch, and Jaquez entered for the redshirt senior at first base – where she chatted with associate head coach Lisa Fernandez.

“She was just like, ‘OK, there’s one out. Don’t go too early.’ Just softball stuff,” Jaquez said. “But I think that calmed me down in a sense.”

Jaquez advanced to second on a groundout, putting her in scoring position.

Sophomore infielder Jordan Woolery then launched a ball over the center field wall, plating Jaquez for her first collegiate run.

“I literally could not stop smiling, and I was like, ‘I need to take some deep breaths and calm myself down,’” Jaquez said. “Right when the ball got hit, instincts kick in. I’ve been playing softball for a long time now.”

Jaquez started playing softball when she was in preschool, and while she hasn’t played since her senior year of high school, she said she still has her instincts.

In middle school, Jaquez said she wanted to play Division I softball, but she ended up choosing basketball instead.

Jaquez and sophomore infielder Rylee Pinedo – who have been best friends since third grade, Jaquez said – played together at Adolfo Camarillo High School.

“Being teammates again in college, it’s just a dream come true,” Jaquez said. “We always talked about going to UCLA together. I would always say, ‘I’ll play basketball. You play softball.’”

The women’s basketball program has been supportive of Jaquez’s softball endeavors, from Close to sophomore guard Kiki Rice – who attended the super regional.

“They see how happy I am and the smile on my face when I talk about it,” Jaquez said. “I just really appreciated them coming out to support me and also the team, watch us play. They’re impressed by these girls.”

The forward-turned-pinch runner said her role is to be a good teammate and bring energy to the dugout.

With UCLA continuing its run toward a national title in Oklahoma City on Thursday, Jaquez said she has loved the chance to be a part of UCLA softball.

“Having the opportunity to play basketball and softball is genuinely a dream come true,” Jaquez said.

Felicia Keller
Keller is a 2023-2024 assistant Sports editor on the men’s soccer, swim and dive, women’s water polo, and softball beats. She was previously a contributor on the swim and dive and women’s water polo beats and a contributor in the News and Photo sections. She is also a second-year sociology student.

Furnished studio/bedroom unit w/private bath between UCLA and Santa Monica $1,175 month. Single bus public transport to UCLA or the beach. Txt 1(805)551-9922