Monday, May 20, 2024

USAC 2024-2025 Candidate Debates: Campus Events commissioner

Kerckhoff Hall is pictured. Debates for Campus Events commissioner took place over Zoom on Thursday evening. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Sam Mulick

One candidate for the Undergraduate Students Association Council Campus Events commissioner attended a debate Thursday.

The Elections Board and the Daily Bruin co-hosted a series of debates between candidates in the upcoming USAC election. One candidate is running unopposed for the position of Campus Events commissioner.

Robbie Hall, a third-year history and political science student, said he has worked in the CEC’s office for three years in the Speakers Department, which hosts events that bring filmmakers and musicians to campus. Becoming the director of the center has helped him bring diverse discussions to campus, he said.

Hall added that he is running his campaign on platforms including diversity of programming and expanding CEC branding.

“I have five major platforms on which I’m running my campaign: programming high quality events and entertainment, programming diverse events that embody the various identities of all Bruins, facilitating streamline channels of communication, expanding on sponsorship deals and solidifying the CEC branding on campus and in the greater LA community,” he said.

Hall added that the best way to incorporate more diversity into the CEC is through the office’s hiring process, which will in turn facilitate more diverse events throughout the year.

In his closing statement, Hall said he has poured years into improving the CEC, adding that it has been the most important part of his experience at UCLA.

“Having the opportunity to connect students with the entertainment industry and their favorite artists has been an incredible joy and honor,” he said. “If elected to this position, I will work tirelessly to execute my five platforms and program the best events in CEC history.”

Students can vote in the election on MyUCLA starting Friday and ending May 17.

Sam Mulick
Mulick is a news contributor on the features and student life beat. He is also a third-year sociology student from northern New Jersey.