Monday, May 20, 2024

Transfer Bruin Day postponed, moved online following on-campus demonstrations

Admitted students walk through Bruin Walk during last year’s Transfer Bruin Day. The event featured presentations on campus life, student organizations and financial aid. (Shane Yu/Daily Bruin staff)

By Alexandra Crosnoe

This post was updated May 9 at 11:52 p.m. 

Transfer Bruin Day has been moved online and postponed to an unspecified date later this month following ongoing demonstrations in support of the dismantled Palestine solidarity encampment.

The event will happen virtually because of “recent activities on campuses across the nation, including UCLA,” according to an email sent to admitted transfer students Wednesday afternoon. This decision came after a violent attack on the encampment April 30 and the ensuing police sweep May 2, where more than 200 protesters were arrested. The postponement also follows Monday’s arrest of 44 pro-Palestine protesters possessing metal pipes, bolt cutters and epoxy adhesives shortly before a planned sit-in in Moore Hall. A UCPD lieutenant previously told the Daily Bruin that 43 individuals were arrested.

[Related: 43 individuals arrested in Parking Structure 2 before pro-Palestine sit-in, rally]

Classes have been moved online until further notice. Buildings such as Royce Hall and Powell Library have been closed until Friday. Faculty and students also held rallies protesting the university’s response to the encampment, including a UCLA Faculty for Justice in Palestine walkout Thursday morning outside the Charles E. Young Research Library.

Meagan Harmon, the Undergraduate Students Association Council transfer student representative, said in a written statement that the Bruin Day Chairs made the right decision by postponing Transfer Bruin Day. She added that UCLA is not currently prepared to host such a large event in the wake of counter-protesters and aggressors violently attacking the encampment and its subsequent police sweep.

Transfer Bruin Day has previously allowed admitted transfer students to learn about UCLA through presentations on various aspects of campus life – including dining, student organizations and financial aid resources – as well as by meeting other incoming transfer students.

Megan Christensen, an incoming transfer student, said she had been relying on Transfer Bruin Day being in person to meet new students and learn more about UCLA.

“It honestly does hinder a lot of my plans to mingle and find roommates,” she said. “I was hoping that Transfer Day would offer some clarity in person … for me about any of the questions I have and also to reassure my decision.”

UCLA Media Relations did not respond in time to a request for comment on Transfer Bruin Day’s cancellation.

[Related: Transfer Bruin Day welcomes incoming students to campus through various events]

Carlos Rodriguez, a candidate for the USAC transfer student representative, said in a written statement that incoming transfer students suffer from the event’s move to an online format.

“Already, transfers are at a disadvantage in terms of information and knowledge about UCLA’s many resources and opportunities,” Rodriguez, a third-year pre-economics transfer student, said in the statement. “Transfer Day is a way for these students to get accustomed to the school before they start the year, and plan the next critical steps in their academic, professional, and personal lives.”

Harmon said in the statement that incoming transfer students have voiced concerns about having less time between Transfer Bruin Day and the June 1 deadline for transfer students to submit their Statement of Intent to Register – the day they must commit to attending UCLA. She added in the statement that she would advocate for the UCLA Undergraduate Admission office to extend the amount of time transfers have to submit their SIRs.

Rodriguez added in the statement that the event would not need to be virtual if UCLA listened to students’ demands to divest from Israel. Students for Justice in Palestine and the UC Divest Coalition at UCLA have been calling for the UC system to divest from companies that invest in weapons manufacturing for the Israeli military and to reveal UC financial records.

Katie Chavez, an incoming transfer student, said she was disappointed by the university’s choice to move the event online. She added that the university could have explored other in-person options, such as a shortened version of the event.

Christensen also said she believes the university should work around the protests by postponing Transfer Bruin Day to a later date in person rather than making it virtual.

“I do know that protests are still sporadically happening, and I do think that it isn’t a great environment, considering all UCLA students are moved to remote classes,” she said. “I just wished that there was a little bit more thought put into postponing it in person.”

Alexandra Crosnoe