Monday, May 20, 2024

USAC 2024-2025 Candidate Debates: Internal vice president

Kerckhoff Hall is pictured. Debates for internal vice president took place over Zoom on Wednesday evening. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Sam Mulick

Three candidates for the Undergraduate Students Association Council internal vice president attended a debate Wednesday.

The Elections Board and the Daily Bruin co-hosted a series of debates between candidates in the upcoming USAC election. Three candidates are running for the position of internal vice president.

Josh Garland, the current assistant IVP, said he wanted to use his knowledge of the office to give back to student organizations by directing USAC surplus funds to student organizations. One of the main responsibilities of the IVP is to chair the Appointment Review Committee, which Garland said he hopes to change by better reflecting the student body’s diversity.

Garland, who is a third-year history and political science student, said he wants to reinstate the Campus Safety Alliance to give students an opportunity to hold the administration accountable regarding campus safety issues. He added that he wants to reach more students to ensure they have a voice in student government and to encourage students to attend public comment at USAC meetings.

“Transparency is more than just publicizing reports,” he said. “We need to outreach to student organizations directly.”

Joe Lin, a second-year computer science student, said he wants to use the office of the IVP to create a direct pipeline of communication between all communities on campus, especially marginalized communities.

“I think USAC has so much potential,” he said. “In order for us to really achieve that, we need to continue improving our coordination, organization, structure and communication.”

Lin added that he wants to improve the quality of life for students at UCLA, including making housing more affordable and creating new cultural and career events.

Ishan Misro, a first-year computational biology student, said he wants to improve financial transparency for USAC by making the financial expenditure viewer available for students to see, since USAC receives $10 million in student fees every year.

Misro added that his current experience in three USAC offices – the Student Wellness Commission, the office of General Representative Katie Pool and the Financial Supports Commission – makes him qualified to hold the office of IVP.

“People need to know where their money is going,” he said. “That information needs to be public.”

Misro added that an important part of his platform is to equally represent the more than 30,000 students on campus. He said he would make it mandatory for people in his office to attend meetings of outside student organizations.

Students can vote in the election on MyUCLA starting May 10 and ending May 17.

Sam Mulick
Mulick is a news contributor on the features and student life beat. He is also a third-year sociology student from northern New Jersey.