Monday, May 20, 2024

USAC 2024-2025 Candidate Debates: External vice president

Kerckhoff Hall is pictured. Debates for the external vice president took place over Zoom on Wednesday evening. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Gabrielle Gillette

Three candidates for the Undergraduate Students Association Council external vice president attended a debate Wednesday.

The Elections Board and the Daily Bruin co-hosted a series of debates between candidates in the upcoming USAC election. Three candidates are running for the position of EVP.

Faith Choi, a first-year molecular, cell and developmental biology student, said it is her goal to represent every student and identity at UCLA, while also creating more sustainable policies for the campus.

“What I would do toward action items is reaching out to all these organizations, especially emphasizing that need to put these marginalized voices in the office,” Choi said. “Although I will be the head of whatever the office is, I’ll make sure that students are becoming leaders and putting out the work that needs to be done.”

She added that she will integrate the greater campus community within the office and ensure UCLA fights for equity, she said.

Javier Nuñez-Verdugo, a third-year cognitive science student, said, if elected, they plan to put marginalized student organizations first in the office’s priorities to create a more equitable campus.

Nuñez-Verdugo said they noticed there has been distance between councilmembers and the general student body. They said it is important to be on the ground to educate themself on issues that may not impact their personal identity, but that may affect students around them.

“In order to uplift all Bruins, which I know is hard with a 36,000 student population, we need to focus on our most underrepresented and marginalized students,” Nuñez-Verdugo said.

Emma Zhou, a third-year public affairs student, said her main goal as EVP would be to increase connections on campus and to make USAC feel like a resource for every student. She said she plans to do this by advocating for and working with different organizations on campus.

Zhou said she plans to advocate and lobby at every governmental level for students regarding affordable housing and transportation issues, including through neighborhood councils. She said she also plans to work with CalGrant and CalFresh through tabling events in Bruin Plaza.

“At the end of the day, as EVP, you really have to be able to focus on all of the different levels of office and government that we work with,” Zhou said. “That’s why I said I want to work at the school, local, state and federal levels, which we have done.”

Students can vote in the election on MyUCLA starting May 10 and ending May 17.

Gabrielle Gillette