Sunday, May 19, 2024

UCLA baseball clinches series victory over Cal State Fullerton

Junior infielder Cody Schrier swings at a pitch. (Audan Sun/Daily Bruin)

Baseball

Cal State Fullerton4
UCLA11

By Noah Massey

UCLA secured a series victory over USC one month ago.

And it wasn’t until Sunday that the Bruins repeated their fortune.

“We’ve had chances to win a few series,” said coach John Savage. “For example, against Oregon and Washington. We just haven’t.”

UCLA baseball (16-29, 6-18 Pac-12) defeated Cal State Fullerton (14-30, 5-16 Big West) in its series rubber match by a score of 11-4. The Bruins broke out early, scoring six of their 11 runs in the first inning after only managing five in the prior two games combined.

“I thought we did a good job,” Savage said. “We had walks, hard contact with two strikes, middle of the field and opposite field contact. Good things happen when you do that.”

In the first, the Bruins knocked the Titans’ starter Derek Turner out of the game after he earned an early hook, only recording two outs. In Turner’s short time on the field, he surrendered three singles, two doubles, a walk and an error as the Bruins turned the lineup over during their six-run rally.

Across the final eight innings, UCLA would never verge on relinquishing its lead, as Fullerton failed to get within six runs throughout the remainder of the contest.

Offensively, eight of nine Bruins reached base, led by sophomore outfielder Payton Brennan, junior designated hitter Jack Holman and freshman third baseman Roch Cholowsky. The trifecta amassed seven hits and three walks while Cholowsky hit two two-run home runs.

“I got into some good counts and got some good pitches to hit,” Cholowsky said. “I was just doing what I’m supposed to do with those.”

The freshman has emerged at the plate recently, hitting .343 with six home runs in the past 10 games.

“I think everybody realizes how good of a player he’s going to be,” Savage said. “He’s a very comfortable guy on a baseball field. He’s grown into a Bruin right in front of our eyes.”

Right-hander Luke Rodriguez was handed the ball for his first weekend start of the year. The freshman tossed 4.2 innings and struck out six – his highest total of the season – while allowing three runs in his final two pitches.

“I just tried to do what I can do,” Rodriguez said. “Put up some zeros and try to get the win.”

Rodriguez and fellow freshman right-hander Justin Lee combined to toss seven innings, keeping the lead comfortable for junior two-way player JonJon Vaughns, who shut the door with two shutout innings.

The freshman duo has amassed 47.1 and 31.1 innings on the season, respectively, placing them third and sixth on the team.

“Our freshman pitchers have been really good,” Savage said. “They’re being used a lot, probably a little too much with our situation. But at the end of the day they’re getting a lot of experience and a lot of opportunity.”

Noah Massey