Saturday, May 18, 2024

Organizations voice concerns over UCLA’s response to attacks, encampment sweep

Royce Hall is pictured during a cleanup after the pro-Palestine encampment was cleared by police early Thursday morning. (Nicolas Greamo/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Yashila Suresh

For the Daily Bruin’s full coverage of the UC Divest Coalition and Students for Justice in Palestine encampment, see here.

This is an ongoing story and will be updated.

Student organizations at UCLA expressed their opinions on recent events surrounding the now-dismantled Palestine solidarity encampment, with many sharing their support and some voicing their concerns over UCLA’s response to the attack on and sweep of the encampment. 

On Tuesday night, counter-protesters attacked the encampment and attempted to enter it, resulting in injuries to those inside. Police forces did not arrive on the scene until hours later after Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass told Chancellor Gene Block to call the LAPD.

[RELATED: Local and state officials condemn late response from law enforcement at encampment]

UC Divest Coalition and Students for Justice in Palestine at UCLA, which led the encampment, called on community members to rally together on campus Wednesday afternoon in preparation for a sweep. Early Thursday morning, hundreds of police officers – including those from UCPD, LAPD, the LA County Sheriff’s Department and California Highway Patrol – dismantled the encampment by force and arrested hundreds of protesters under Block’s orders. 

What follows is a timeline of statements released by student organizations across UCLA over the past week. 

April 26 

9:35 a.m.: POOL magazine, a student-run architectural publication, pledged its support to Palestinian organizations as well as the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement and the Palestinian Campaign for the Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel.

“We commit to abstain from collaboration with Israeli cultural and academic institutions,” the statement said. “(We) decline to participate in activities which normalize Israel’s occupation of Palestine.”  

Sunday  

12:23 a.m.: Grupo Folklórico de UCLA announced its solidarity with the Palestinian people as well as the students around the world who are denouncing Israel’s siege of the Gaza Strip. The team added that dance is an art form, but it also serves as a form of resistance.

“Our existence as Latine-identifying individuals on this campus and this country has always been politicized,” it said. “It is about time that Latines voice their support for the Palestinian people and fight against fascism, hatred and apartheid.”  

8:24 p.m.: Samahang Pilipino expressed its support for Palestine and the pressure students across the country are applying to university administrations. 

“We must remember that their fight is not only theirs,” the organization said. “‘lsang bagsak’ means, ‘if one falls, we all fall. and if one rises, we all rise.’”

Tuesday 

1:32 p.m.: The Nigerian Student Association at UCLA issued a call to action for students. The statement drew similarities between the experiences of Palestinians and the Black community.

“We are witnessing a GENOCIDE,” it said. “It is up to us, the leaders of today and tomorrow, to take a stand AGAINST injustice and to not sit complacent in our privilege while others have their autonomy and human rights ripped away.”

7:45 p.m.: Palestine Solidarity Encampment condemned attempts from the university to disperse the encampment and said the university failed to protect people inside the encampment. It added that the university was continuing to negotiate with them.

“We ask you to mobilize and show up in solidarity with our allies across the country and the world,” the statement said. “UCLA has divested before and will divest again.” 

Wednesday  

11:45 a.m.: UCLA’s Latine Film and Theatre Association condemned UCLA for allowing students to be exposed to extreme violence. 

“Our art is one of the many ways we approach a new world for Latines and all BIPOC peoples,” it said. “To all students participating in the encampment, stay safe and know that we support you.” 

12:42 p.m.: Melanin Melodies, a singing group for Black students, expressed solidarity with Palestine and the encampment, adding that its members believe global injustice necessitates collective action. The statement also highlighted simultaneous violence and oppression in Congo and Sudan.

“We extend our solidarity beyond borders, amplifying the voices of those marginalized and oppressed, and working tirelessly to dismantle systems of violence and oppression wherever they may exist,” it said in the statement. 

2:03 p.m.: Active Minds at UCLA released a statement saying that, as the university’s largest mental health organization, its members prioritize student health and well-being overall. It added that students continue to feel hopeless and anxious because of the UCLA administration’s delayed response to the violence of Tuesday night and Wednesday morning. The organization stated that it supported student rights to peacefully protest and condemned all forms of discrimination. 

“As students we look out for and protect one another,” the statement said. “We urgently call upon UCLA to expand accessible mental health resources made available to students.”

2:49 p.m.: The UCLA Black Graduate Student Association voiced its support for Palestine, adding that its members drew parallels to the violence faced by encampment protestors to that inflicted upon Black communities in the 1950s.

“We witnessed attacks on students that were reminiscent of Black citizens across the country who participate in peaceful protests and violence perpetrated upon them by individuals who are in support of continued oppression and subjugation,” it said.  

2:50 p.m.: Cherry Pop Records, a student-run record label, announced that it canceled an upcoming showcase to prioritize student advocacy on campus. It added that it will be donating directly to organizations supporting families in Palestine.

“As musicians and songwriters, we are keenly aware of the importance of the right to free speech in pursuit of profound expression and will always stand by those seeking to exercise this right,” the statement said. 

4:08 p.m.: Lapu, the Coyote that Cares, an Asian American theater company, voiced its solidarity with Palestine, saying that UCLA has neglected its students and needs to take accountability for their inaction during the hours of violence students endured. 

“As an Asian-American theater company, the stories we tell often live in the shadow of our motherlands’ histories of imperialism,” it said. “More important than simply telling those stories, though, is to stand with those struggling against imperialism here and now, in reality.”

4:30 p.m.: Fashion and Student Trends at UCLA said that the campus is no longer a safe place for students. It added that some of its members were sprayed with mace and physically assaulted for standing up for their beliefs.

“Anti-Zionism is not Anti-semitism,” the statement said. “We believe in a future of liberation and stand in support of all those struggling against systems of oppression globally.”  

5:23 p.m.: Vietnamese Student Union Modern, a competitive hip-hop dance team, expressed support for Palestinian liberation from Israeli occupation and stated that the Vietnamese people’s own struggle against imperialism and colonialism has illustrated that groups across the world should work together to secure freedom.

“It is not lost on us that 56 years ago, to the very date, police forces were also mobilized at Columbia to violently squash protests against the Vietnam War – yet another example of American militant imperialism,” it said. 

5:32 p.m.: Compas-Farmworkers Feed Us, an advocacy organization for farmworkers, stood by students in the pro-Palestine encampment. As a human rights organization, the group prioritizes the safety and well-being of marginalized groups, it added. UCLA administration’s choice to remain inactive is discouraging and disappointing, the statement said. 

“To remain silent at a time when your student body needs you most is deafeningly loud,” it said. “We will never forget this.” 

5:40 p.m.: Hermanas Unidas de UCLA affirmed its “unrelenting” support for the encampment and noted that as fellow students of color, its members acknowledge that change starts from within the organization. The statement added that members felt a responsibility to amplify other students’ voices and initiate change. 

“The violent acts that occurred on May 1st and the days prior against peaceful protestors on our campus are inexcusable,” the statement said. “Let us stand together in solidarity, amplify each other’s voices, and work towards a brighter and more just future for all.” 

6:08 p.m.: The Latinx Greek Council at UCLA, which oversees Latinx-based and multicultural Greek-lettered organizations, stated its solidarity for students in the pro-Palestine encampment. The council also condemned UCLA, Chancellor Gene Block and law enforcement for standing by while students were attacked Tuesday night and Wednesday morning. 

“Our administration and campus security have failed to provide adequate protection,” the statement said. “It is simply inhumane.” 

6:45 p.m.: Students for Justice in Palestine at UCLA and PYM LA-OC-IE – a Southern California chapter of the Palestine youth movement – condemned the university, both for its response to attacks by counter-protesters and for calling the police on the encampment. It added that it plans to continue advocating for divestment.

“Despite clear evidence of danger, including attempts to breach the encampment and deploy dangerous substances, UCLA continues to turn a blind eye,” it said. “Negotiations on divestment must commence immediately.”

7:52 p.m.: Unión Centroamericana de UCLA voiced its support for student advocacy in the encampment and blamed the UCLA administration for not stepping in when students were being attacked. 

“The overall purpose (of the encampment) is to stop the genocide and occupation of Palestine,” the statement said. “Our Central American history is a clear example of how our communities of color have been censored and oppressed by white supremacists.” 

8:52 p.m.: The Thai Student Association at UCLA denounced the violence that took place Tuesday night, adding that it stands with the fundamental ability for everyone to live with peace and dignity.

“To our fellow Bruins and the Students for Justice in Palestine, We thank you for your resilience and fight for peace. You have been an inspiration for us all and we proudly stand by you,” it said. “Equality and justice are what every human being deserves.” 

9:12 p.m.: Anakbayan at UCLA, a student organization supporting freedom and democracy for the Filipino people, condemned the UC and UCLA for sweeping the encampment. The Palestine fight for liberation is inseparable from that of the Filipinos, it added. 

“We must remain steadfast in demanding and fighting for complete divestment from Zionist settler-colonialism & US imperialism, an end to the ongoing genocide in Palestine and the liberation of all oppressed peoples including the Philippines,” the statement said. 

9:43 p.m.: The Caribbean Student Association at UCLA said it stood in solidarity with the pro-Palestine movement and that it supports students committed to self-advocacy and global movements toward liberation for occupied nations. 

“You all deserve more than just words – you deserve meaningful actions that ensure your safety, allow for peaceful expression and provide space for grieving,” it said. “One Love – from the River to the Sea and Beyond.” 

10:34 p.m.: Pacific Ties, an Asian Pacific Islander Desi American newsmagazine published by UCLA Student Media, denounced the UCLA administration and called it complicit in the violence students faced on Tuesday night. The newsmagazine condemned the antisemitism directed towards UCLA Jewish students and expressed its solidarity with the encampment. 

“UCLA has been silent,” it said. “The response Gene Block and the UCLA administration put out in response to these attacks is insufficient to describe the horror of what happened.” 

11:49 p.m.: The UCLA Afrikan Student Union condemned what its members saw as the repression of pro-Palestinian voices by the UCLA administration and criticized its response and handling of the past week. The organization also encouraged students to continue mobilizing and calling for divestment.

“This cowardly intimidation tactic is not only unconscionable, but also a complete failure to defend the very students whom you claim to protect,” the statement said. “We rely on protecting each other.” 

11:56 p.m.: Shenanigans Comedy Club at UCLA denounced the university’s administration’s lack of action to keep students safe. The club stood in solidarity with students who were harmed by the violence that took place over Tuesday night. 

“As members of the UCLA community, we stand in solidarity with our fellow students who were harmed by these brutal acts of violence,” it said. 

Thursday 

12:03 a.m.: The UCLA Korean American Student Association voiced its support for students in the pro-Palestine encampment. It added that Korea’s own fight against Japanese colonization has influenced many Korean Americans who choose to take a stand against occupation and oppression worldwide.   

“The genocide in Palestine transcend politics: this is a matter of human rights,” the post said. “This should not be polarizing.”

12:45 a.m.: The Indian Student Union criticized UCLA’s decision to call the police on peaceful student protesters and disband the encampment. It also recognized and condemned India’s involvement in the Israel-Hamas war. 

“Newly-independent India was one of the first countries to recognize Palestinian statehood; today, India is Israel’s largest weapons buyer,” the statement said. “We … remain steadfast in our commitment to Palestinian liberation and the liberation of oppressed people everywhere.”

9:44 a.m.: UCLA’s chapter of Dear Asian Youth, an organization and magazine dedicated to supporting Asian youth, declared its support for the pro-Palestine encampment. The statement added that members were unsurprised at UCLA’s inaction when the encampment was attacked by counter-protesters.

“With May being the start of AAPI Heritage Month, it is impossible to acknowledge our identity without recognizing the long-standing histories of oppression and genocide that have shaped the stories of our people and command our solidarity with our West Asian siblings,” it said.

10:06 a.m.: The Luskin Black Caucus stated that a Black student in the Luskin School of Public Affairs who had been detained during the police sweep was released from police custody. The statement added that the caucus supports student activism and condemns violent repression.

“We affirm our belief that the right to protest and freedom of speech must be protected as authoritative attacks on nonviolent student protestors continue around the country, and that global liberation of oppressed people must be a part of our fight as a Black diaspora,” it said.

10:51 a.m.: Latinxs/Chicanxs for Community Medicine expressed support for students in the encampment in a written statement. Its members called for divestment and said the resources should instead be directed to students. 

“We recognize that our existence is intertwined with the context in which we live and the history that precedes us,” the statement said. “Whether you are actively or passively involved, we are all part of an ongoing struggle for the Palestinian cause.”

12:08 p.m.: Amnesty International at UCLA provided students with a list of resources, including a donation link to SJP-led petitions on the regulation of police equipment and contact information to provide aid for students detained during the sweep. It also posted a statement voicing support for students’ right to peacefully protest.

“We support an environment where students can stand up for injustice without fear for their safety or health,” the statement said. “Stay safe and stand together.”  

1:26 p.m.: The Latine Graduate Student Association called for the resignation of Chancellor Gene Block, citing UCLA’s mishandling of what it called a peaceful student movement. It added that the organization stands with and will continue to fight for Palestine.

“La lucha es nuestra herencia. The fight is our heritage,” the statement said. “We are not free until everyone is free!”

3:07 p.m.: The UCLA Association of Indonesian Americans contrasted the lack of police activity during the Tuesday attacks with the police presence during the following day’s sweep, adding that it believes police were not created to protect people of color. 

“We implore our community to recognize the parallels found between Palestine’s own history with colonialism and Indonesian and aid our brothers and sisters across the globe,” the statement said.

3:08 p.m.: Hillel at UCLA – an organization representing Jewish students on campus – said it was grateful to the university for enforcing its policies, adding that it plans to prioritize the needs of Jewish students. The statement also described the events early Thursday morning as “devastating.”

“We maintain hope that the campus community can forge together to support their collective well-being in the aftermath of this defining moment,” it said. “We are praying for continued calm.”

3:11 p.m.: HOOLIGAN Theatre Company said students within the company were physically and verbally assaulted during the police sweep and also noted the difference in police presence between the two days.

“These actions are abhorrent, exposing the university’s true allegiances in protecting its members,” the statement said.

3:30 p.m.: The Epidemiology Student Association condemned the violence that occurred Tuesday night and called on the epidemiology department to hold Block and the UCLA administration accountable. The direct escalation of violence was unacceptable and contradicts the peaceful dialogue educational institutions should abide by, the statement added.  

“The epidemiology community – students, researchers, scholars, and educators – are particularly dedicated to advancing domestic and global health equity through their impactful work directly empowered by this exact academic freedom,” the statement said.

4:07 p.m.: Lambda Theta Alpha, a Latin sorority, denounced the university for allowing counter-protesters to attack students in the encampment without taking action.

“(This) does not correlate with the True Bruin values that Gene Block regularly emphasizes,” the statement said.

5:06 p.m.: The Association of Chinese Americans at UCLA expressed its solidarity with the pro-Palestine movement. It added that its members believe individuals in the Asia Pacific region and Palestine are unified in their shared experiences of oppression.

“It is imperative to realize how the fight for Palestine liberation is inherently connected to our own liberation as Chinese Americans,” the statement said. “We encourage you to focus on the ongoing genocide in Gaza and the call for Palestinian liberation.”

5:37 p.m.: The UCLA Nikkei Student Union, a Japanese American social, cultural and political organization, condemned the UCLA administration’s handling of the encampment, stating that the administration disregarded both students’ safety and voices. Members of the club drew parallels with their own history, in which Japanese Americans were sent to internment camps by the United States government during World War II.

“Our community understands the consequences of silence during moments of oppression,” the statement said. “Our struggles are inextricably tied to each other and thus, we must work towards the self-determination of all people.”

6:08 p.m.: The UCLA East African Student Association said the atrocities unfolding in Gaza are a reflection of decades of human rights oppression occurring across the world. The organization called for change in Palestine, Congo, Sudan and the Tigray region in Ethiopia. 

“Stand on the right side of history,” the statement said. “In these times, we will continue to fight for a free Palestine.”

6:43 p.m.: Samahang Modern, a hip-hop dance team at UCLA, announced that it would donate proceeds from a recent fundraiser to Operation Olive Branch, an organization dedicated to supporting families in Palestine. 

“In this spirit, Samahang Modern stands in solidarity with the Palestinian people and calls for an end to the genocide in Gaza,” the statement said.

9:11 p.m.: Project RISHI UCLA, a nonprofit organization dedicated to sustainable development in rural India, expressed its support for students whom it said exemplified being a True Bruin by fighting for justice. UCLA administration used fear and violence as a deterrent against its own students, the statement added. 

“We urge university administration to do better in protecting its community as we lend ourselves as allies to those in crisis around the globe,” it said.

9:56 p.m.: Shakespeare Company at UCLA declared its support for SJP and condemned the inaction of the UCLA administration. 

“To our community members, protect each other and support where you can,” it said. “We stand with you.”

10:02 p.m.: The Student Committee for the Arts at UCLA announced its full support for the encampment. It added that its members are “disgusted” by what it describes as the university’s disregard for student safety and choice to remain silent.

“We want to emphasize that the ongoing violence that Palestinians have been experiencing must not be normalized and in recognition of this, campus activities and life should not proceed as normal,” it said.

11:21 p.m.: Artreach at UCLA, an organization working toward providing underserved communities access to art and creation, expressed its frustration with the actions of UCLA administration Wednesday and Thursday. The terror and hurt students experienced is only a small part of the university’s harmful contributions to Gaza, the statement added. 

“Therefore, we demand an immediate ceasefire and the divestment of UCLA from all institutions that participate in genocide of the Palestinian people, and a greater commitment to the safety of students and faculty at UCLA,” the statement said.

Friday

12:39 a.m.: UCLA Hui O ‘Imiloa, a Hawaiian community organization, apologized for an initial statement where it announced that its luau, a traditional Hawaiian celebration, would not be canceled despite ongoing events. The updated statement denounced the UCLA administration and Block for mobilizing police against students and acknowledged Hawaii’s own fight against settler colonialism and imperialism. 

“To dance hula and to share in Hawaiian culture is inherently political because of settler colonialism and attempted cultural erasure that has occurred historically in Hawai’i,” the statement said.

12:44 a.m.: The United Khmer Students at UCLA said it recognizes parallels between Palestinian and Khmer history. It added that as descendants of survivors of the Khmer Rouge genocide, the effects of Western imperialism and oppression have affected not only Khmer students but also the Palestinian people. The organization said it stands in solidarity with the pro-Palestine movement and criticizes the university’s administration for their handling of counter-protester aggression toward students.

“Just as our community experienced in Cambodia, the US and its institutions directly fund the violence, dehumanization and displacement of the people of Palestine,” it said. “We do not live in Palestine, but Palestine lives in us.”

11:38 a.m.: Faces of Afrikan Muslims at UCLA declared its solidarity with Palestine and denounced law enforcement’s lack of protection for students in the encampment. 

“Our commitment is deeply rooted in our shared experiences of resistance against injustice,” it said in a statement. “The interconnectedness of these battles highlights the global pattern of injustice, which disproportionately impacts underprivileged and marginalized people around the world.”

12:28 p.m.: The Botanical Club at UCLA announced that it would cease all participation in UCLA’s botanical projects until the university takes accountability for “attacks on students facilitated by UCLA Administrators.” 

“We are in fervent solidarity with our fellow students in @sjpatucla @ucladivest @jvpatucla and associated organizations,” the statement said. “In the interim, we are shifting our complete focus to the justice portion of our mission.”

3:32 p.m.: UCLA Theta Kappa Phi, an Asian American sorority, condemned the UCLA administration’s actions and failure to protect peaceful student protesters. It added that students should learn from international conflicts to broaden their perspectives and understanding of injustice happening both in Palestine and around the world.

“As horrific as these events were, we must acknowledge that they are but a glimpse of the daily sufferings endured by Palestinian citizens, whose lives and homes are continually disrupted by ongoing conflict,” the statement said. “As an Asian community, it is our duty to stand against such injustices and advocate for a campus environment where all groups can feel safe and supported.”

3:52 p.m.: UCLA’s Eta Epsilon chapter of Pi Sigma Epsilon, a co-ed professional business-marketing fraternity, expressed its solidarity with SJP. It added that as a for-profit organization, it has the ability to positively impact its community. 

“We condemn war profiteering. We refuse blood money. We refuse to be complicit in the marketing and commercialization of warfare and genocide,” it said. “We call on all to champion the cause of liberation for the Palestinian people.”

5:03 p.m.: Foundations Choreography, a beginner and intermediate dance organization, denounced the university administration’s actions toward students peacefully protesting. The university’s response to students illustrates its complicity and support of the genocide occurring in Gaza, it added. 

“As a dance organization, we recognize that dance has been historically intertwined in the fight for liberation and oppression, pioneered by the black and brown communities,” the statement said. “We must support each other and do what we can in our own capacity to show solidarity.”

5:54 p.m: The Lebanese Student Association at UCLA declared its solidarity with Palestine and said it rejects the violent and discriminatory actions that took place on campus.

“As members of the Middle Eastern community, it is our inherent duty to voice our opposition against the persistent human rights violations in Palestine, and now on our campus,” it said. “This encampment served not only as a symbol of resistance, but as a hub of community and learning.”

6:06 p.m.: ROOT[D, a South-Asian-focused urban dance group, announced its solidarity with Palestine and condemned UCLA’s “perpetrated acts of unnecessary violence” toward students. 

“The university’s actions of preaching social justice while also arresting students for advocating is blatantly hypocritical,” the statement said. “We are so incredibly proud of our peers who have been tirelessly fighting for justice.”

6:46 p.m.: All Books and Cheese at UCLA, a feminist-based print and culture club, announced that it would be canceling its regularly scheduled radio show Saturday. It encouraged students to support SJP and ongoing relief efforts in Gaza. 

“Those of us who were involved in and continue to support the Pro-Palestinian movement on campus do not feel that it would honor the spirit of the movement to resume a ‘business as usual’ policy while many of our fellow students have been detained, brutalized, and injured,” it said in a statement. 

8:32 p.m.: The Asian Pacific Health Corps at UCLA expressed its support with the people of Palestine and the encampment and condemned UCLA’s inaction in protecting students against violence. UCLA administration has failed students and has denounced any support they claimed to have towards communities of color, it added. 

“This struggle is familiar to many in the API community, as we have suffered and are still dealing with the repercussions of tragedies, such as the Vietnam War and the Cambodian genocide,” it said. “Though the encampment has dismantled for now, its sentiment remains.” 

8:53 p.m.: Balkan Bruins denounced the UCLA administration’s actions toward the student body. It added that it supports the students’ ability to peacefully protest for change. 

“As a club that represents such a diverse region with a long history of conflict and resilience, we cannot remain silent about these injustices,” the statement said. “To those who feel unheard and to the students who have been protesting, we stand with you.” 

9:18 p.m.: UCLA’s Delta Chapter of Kappa Psi Epsilon, a Filipino sorority, condemned UCLA and law enforcement’s actions toward students peacefully protesting. The sorority added that its members believe the encampment was a peaceful and safe space for education and empowerment.

“Both Filipino and Palestinian histories and conditions are tied to US-sponsored state violence that is used to oppress students on our college campuses, with the detainment of peaceful protestors, and against our kababayan (fellow countrymen) back home in the Philippines, through the abuse and exploitation of women and members of the queer community,” it said. 

9:52 p.m.: Hermanos Unidos de UCLA, an organization dedicated to helping Latino men pursue higher education, affirmed its solidarity with Palestine and expressed its concerns about the humanitarian crisis in the Gaza Strip as well as violence on campus.

“We believe that standing in solidarity with marginalized communities aligns with our commitment to uplift those who are oppressed,” its statement said. 

10:12 p.m.: GlobeMed at UCLA, a nonprofit dedicated to improving global education and health, condemned UCLA’s lack of action in protecting students against violence. It added that ongoing restrictions to humanitarian aid access have created a health crisis in the Gaza Strip.

“As an organization that has stood for global health equity for the past 16 years on this campus, we acknowledge and stand against the current genocide of the Palestinian people,” the statement said. “Your (pro-Palestinian protesters’) resilience, bravery, and power inspired us all, and more importantly, bring us one step closer to the end of violence, apartheid, occupation, and genocide against the Palestinian people.”

10:39 p.m.: The Environmentalists of Color Collective at UCLA announced its solidarity with Palestine and SJP. It added that UCLA needs to focus on protecting its students and faculty after the violence enacted by counter-protesters and police forces against the encampment.

“The Environmentalists of Color Collective (ECC) was formed as a healing space for BIPOC student environmentalists where we could dismantle white environmentalist legacies perpetuated through racism and colonialism,” the statement said. “What happened at UCLA over the past few nights was against these principles and everything ECC stands for.”

Saturday

11:24 a.m.: The Life Sciences Student Association at UCLA condemned the violence committed against students this past week and expressed its disappointment in the university’s failure to protect its students. 

“As an organization that prides itself on building a sense of community within our division, LSSA’s goal is to support our students and make their voices heard,” its statement said. 

11:50 a.m.: A joint statement released by 19 student organizations at the UCLA School of Law – including the National Lawyers Guild at UCLA and UCLA Muslim Law Student Association  –  condemned UCLA for using law enforcement against the encampment. It added that the law school’s decision to require exams to remain in person and not be graded pass/fail despite recent events, such as other law schools, was frustrating. 

“As Black, Indigenous, Latine, AANHPI, SWANA, and Jewish community members, we share trauma from imperialism, colonization, genocide, and state-sponsored violence mirrored by the events in Gaza,” the statement said. “We urge UCLA Law administration to stand by its students and hold true to its values of legal and civic advocacy.”

1:28 p.m.: BruinsVote, a student-led voter and civic engagement coalition, voiced its support for students peacefully protesting. It urged students to exercise their rights by reaching out to their representatives, assembling peacefully and petitioning governments to change policies. 

“BruinsVote aims to foster a campus community where all voices are informed and included in the democratic process,” it said. “We support students exercising their right to peaceful protest without fear of violent repercussions.” 

1:42 p.m.: UCLA Korean Culture Night released an updated statement apologizing for not initially acknowledging the encampment’s goal of divestment. It added that remembering Korea’s national protests against martial law in the 1980s urged the group to call for justice internationally. 

“We are actively working on educating ourselves and are reflecting on the actions that resulted in the insensitivity of our statement,” the statement said. “Our hearts hurt for and stand with those facing injustice on campus and in Gaza.”

2:20 p.m.: The Bruin Historical Association at UCLA condemned university actions that led to violence directed toward students. It added that its members believe UCLA denied people the opportunity to peacefully protest.

“The Bruin Historical Association continues to aim to create spaces which diverse voices can be heard, both from the past and the present,” the statement said. “We ask that UCLA aims to do the same going forward.”

3:47 p.m.: UCLA Vibe Check, a dance club, announced its solidarity with student protesters and denounced UCLA and LAPD’s actions. 

“Their use of excessive force on nonviolent protestors is shameful and inexcusable,” it said.

5:02 p.m.: SWC BruiNecessities, an organization dedicated to providing basic needs for students and part of the Undergraduate Students Association Council’s Student Wellness Commission, declared its support for the encampment, SJP and Jewish Voice for Peace at UCLA. It added that the encampment was sustained by students who provided necessary resources and donations.

“In the last 210 days of genocide in Gaza, access to basic needs like food, water, shelter, and personal hygiene have been violated day in and day out in orders of magnitude beyond comprehension,” it said. “We commend our students and faculty for their bravery and selflessness risking their own safety to advocate for humanity and basic needs.”

6:01 p.m.: Latinas Guiding Latinas de UCLA, a mentorship program for young Latinx students interested in pursuing higher education, expressed its support for Palestinian liberation and UC divestment from Israel. There is a historical significance to college campuses fighting social injustice, it added. 

As an organization that seeks to promote higher education and the overall well-being of individuals in under-resourced communities, we would like to bring awareness that there are no universities left in Gaza,” the statement said. “Join us in supporting the resistance against oppression and standing in solidarity with pro-Palestinian protestors.”

9:14 p.m.: BlaQue at UCLA, an organization for Black LGBTQ+ students, announced its solidarity with Palestine. Violence should not have been directed toward students peacefully participating in civil discourse and free speech, it added. 

“As an organization dedicated to promoting equality and justice, BlaQue emphasizes the importance of protecting all students’ rights to peaceful protest without fear of reprisal,” it said. “Let us remember our commitment to the Palestinian people, for in their struggle lies the essence of justice.”

9:30 p.m.: The Environmental Health Sciences Student Association at UCLA wrote an open letter to the Fielding School of Public Health and the school’s Department of Environmental Health Sciences calling for protection and academic leniency for students. It added that the ongoing public health crisis in the Gaza Strip has put significant strain on its members.

“We condemn the lack of acknowledgement of Gaza’s crisis as a genocide, encompassing a multi-level public health crisis and complete collapse of healthcare system,” the statement said.

Sunday

12:56 p.m.: The Armenian Students Association at UCLA denounced the UCLA administration’s decision to call the police on peaceful protesters. ASA’s membership is largely comprised of descendants of victims and survivors of the 1915 Armenian genocide, it added.

“For its attempt to silence the UCLA student body, we are confident that history will look back upon the UCLA administration and find its hands caked in blood,” it said.

1:01 p.m.: A joint statement from eight of the ASUCLA student media publications – Al-Talib, BruinLife, FEM, La Gente, NOMMO, OutWrite, Pacific Ties and UCLA Radio – announced solidarity with the encampment. The publications said the UCLA administration – including Block and Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Darnell Hunt – was a threat to student safety, representation and speech and called for the immediate resignation of both.

“We reject the media’s common decision to sensationalize events and inaccurately characterize students as violent instigators, while turning a blind eye to the realities of blatant mass destruction and the unfathomable loss of 34,000 lives in Gaza,” the statement said. “Declaring the student encampment as unlawful and requiring punitive disciplinary measures, all while leaving Zionist attackers unscathed, is pure hypocrisy and warrants our full condemnation.”

1:32 p.m.: The Mixed Student Union at UCLA expressed its solidarity with students in the encampment and condemned the UCLA administration’s failure to protect its students during the violent attacks Wednesday night. 

“As an organization dedicated to creating a safe community for individuals with diverse and often marginalized or unrecognized identities, Mixed Student Union denounces the silencing of student voices,” it said. “These actions demonstrate a continued refusal by the university to protect the voices and health of its students.”

3:34 p.m.: The Disabled Student Union at UCLA called for an end to what its members see as genocides in Palestine, Sudan, Congo, Tigray and Haiti. It added that disability justice requires justice for all people.

“Ableism, anti-Blackness, Islamophobia, antisemitism, and white supremacy have long been perpetuated by the UC system and are on full display,” it said. “Disability justice at its core requires an end to genocidal regimes and full liberation of all oppressed peoples.” 

5:01 p.m.: The Pakistani Student Association at UCLA voiced its solidarity with the Palestinian people and demanded Block’s resignation following UCLA’s complicity in violent attacks toward students. It added that it pledges to increase fundraising and support for Palestinian liberation.

“Shame on Gene Block, shame on the Administration, and shame on UCLA for allowing us, the students, to be subject to brutalization at both the hands of the violent counter-protestors and law enforcement,” the statement said. “Our freedom of expression extends beyond the glossy pages of college brochures–it is a vital, living right that is deeply rooted in our academic community.”

5:46 p.m.: UCLA Naya Zamaana, a South Asian a capella team, announced its solidarity with students protesting against what they see as the Palestinian genocide. It added that the university’s actions toward the peaceful protest has led to a loss of confidence in university leadership. 

“Even with the presence of the encampment being gone, there is an ignited sense of unity and urgency among our community that cannot be extinguished,” it said. “Please keep fighting alongside the SJP and educating yourself.”

Yashila Suresh