Candidates in upcoming USAC elections participate in solidarity encampment

A pro-Palestine supporter stands near a Cultural Affairs Commission tent in the encampment. Multiple candidates for Undergraduate Students Association Council officer positions have been involved in the encampment over the past five days. (Aidan Sun/Daily Bruin)

By Shiv Patel

Several candidates for the upcoming Undergraduate Students Association Council (USAC) elections participated in the ongoing Gaza solidarity encampment in Dickson Plaza.

The encampment – organized by the UC Divest Coalition and Students for Justice in Palestine at UCLA – began Thursday morning and continued throughout Friday. Protesters are calling on the UC system to divest from companies with ties to the Israeli military, boycott Israeli universities and cut ties with the LAPD, as well as for a ceasefire in the Gaza Strip. 

Javier Nuñez-Verdugo, a candidate for external vice president, said their background heavily influenced their decision to take part in the protest.

“As someone who identifies very strongly with their indigenous identity to Mexico, I very much sympathize with the ongoing fight for Palestinian liberation, as they’re indigenous to their homeland and are currently being displaced,” they said. 

Nuñez-Verdugo, a third-year cognitive science and public affairs student, added that they thought the protesters outside Royce Hall represented a diverse coalition of community members. They also called on current members of USAC to participate in the encampment to set an example.

At least two current USAC officers were present at the demonstration. Cultural Affairs Commissioner Alicia Verdugo, who is running for reelection, was in attendance and did not respond to requests for comment. Verdugo’s office postponed a concert planned for Saturday and encouraged people to attend the encampment. International Student Representative Adam Tfayli, who is running for president, also participated in the protest.

Tfayli, who co-sponsored the successful resolution endorsing the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions Movement, called the February move an important initial step. He said he believes a large number of students support the Palestinian cause, insisting that USAC should support its students.

However, Tfayli distanced his attendance at the encampment from his role as an officer.

“I’m Adam Tfayli. I’m not necessarily a USAC officer when I’m here,” he said. “I’m all tied to my position, but I don’t think that’s important.”

Other candidates were also present at the encampment. Emma Zhou, another candidate for external vice president, and Alexandra Paul, a candidate for facilities commissioner, both participated in the demonstration. 

Zhou, the director of student relations in the office of current External Vice President Eva Jussim, said she attended to show her support and solidarity with Palestinian students at UCLA and to call on the UC to divest from companies that “contribute to the violence” in Gaza. Jussim’s office has previously expressed solidarity with the Palestinian cause.

“It’s really important that us, as UCLA students, come out here to show our support in ensuring that our tuition does not go towards supporting things like genocide,” Zhou said.

Paul, who is unopposed in her race for facilities commissioner, also criticized university administration for its response to the conflict in Gaza and lack of divestment.

“I heard someone say earlier today UCLA is a bank that has classes sometimes,” Paul said. “Ultimately, we pay them hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to listen to student interests, and they simply are not.”

In addition to the candidates and officers at the encampment, tents with the logos of Verdugo’s office and the Campus Events Commission were present. Campus Events Commissioner Mason Miller did not respond to requests for comment. Miller’s office previously expressed solidarity with Gaza in an Instagram post December 15. It is unclear if funds from USAC offices are being used to fund resources at the demonstration, but the text “PAID FOR BY USAC” is visible on the Cultural Affairs Commission tent.

Eli Tsives, a candidate for general representative, was part of the counter-protest against the encampment. Tsives, who alleged the encampment was promoting hate speech, criticized Verdugo’s use of her platform to promote messages he believes makes Jewish students uncomfortable on campus.

“They (the Cultural Affairs Commission) have purposefully used their position and power to make us Jewish students feel unsafe,” he said. 

Tsives’ perspective was not shared by some of the other candidates. Nuñez-Verdugo said they support the use of USAC money – which comes from student fees – to fund resources for the encampment, adding that students should be provided a space to engage in activism on campus. 

Paul said she also supports using student funds to support the protest so that officers can advocate for transparency in how UCLA and the UC system spend students’ money. 

Zhou said she feels that the decision to use USAC funds should be left up to individual officers. 

“That is up to the discretion of the officer and their personal preference. I don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer,” she said. “You do have to keep in mind all members of our UCLA community and be mindful of your actions and words.” 

Though elections are close, with voting opening Friday, Zhou said that her participation in the encampment was not a part of her election efforts.

“Me being here and voicing my opinions has nothing to do with my campaign,” she said. “This is just my personal perspective.”

Nuñez-Verdugo also said they were not using the encampment and broader efforts on campus as a way to campaign, and they denounced candidates who, they alleged, have done so.

“Don’t use this as an opportunity to be forwarding your own campaign,” they said. “Use this as an opportunity to learn.” 

Shiv Patel

Frnshd room with pvt bath in prvt home, includes Drct TV, internet, util, wash/dryer use, week maid serv pool/jacuzzi gate grded, walk to UCLA, no prk or kitchen $1300 310 310-309-9999