Tuesday, May 14, 2024

UCLA football’s Spring Showcase pays homage to program history, connects with fans

UCLA football coach DeShaun Foster walks on the Rose Bowl at the Bruins’ Spring Showcase on Saturday. (Aidan Sun/Daily Bruin)

By Gavin Carlson

A spring game is a precursor to the future.

It’s a chance for fans and media alike to get a glimpse at a new roster and generate new expectations for the upcoming season.

In 2024, few programs are dealing with more “new” than UCLA football. It has a first-time head coach in DeShaun Foster, and a transition to a new conference – one known for football success – lingers.

But unlike the packed stadiums and nationally televised spring games of its new Big Ten counterparts, the Bruins’ Spring Showcase – the first event of its kind at the Rose Bowl in nine years – was as much, if not more, about paying homage to the past as forecasting future success.

In front of a crowd of 11,703 people, UCLA’s Spring Showcase included a series of one-on-one competitions capped off with several drives of 11-on-11 scrimmage reps. Before the action on the field, Foster reinstated the “Bruin Walk” – an opportunity for players to engage with family members and fans during their walk from the team bus to the Rose Bowl and a tradition held prior to former coach Chip Kelly’s tenure in Westwood.

“I explained the history to them when we went back and did the Bruin Walk this morning, and they were all cheering and excited,” Foster said. “I had no idea that they would do that. They’re excited to embrace the Bruin history that we have, and we kind of got away from. I’m just glad that we’re doing that.”

Redshirt junior quarterback Ethan Garbers – who led the starting unit Saturday – said the entire roster appreciated Foster’s decision to reimplement the tradition.

“Usually in the past, we’ve just pulled up right in front of the stadium and not really had to have an interaction time with our families or with our fans,” Garbers said. “(Foster) made sure it was really important that we got to see our families and spend time with them before the games. That resonated with everybody on the team.”

(Aidan Sun/Daily Bruin)
Redshirt junior quarterback Ethan Garbers rears back to throw the ball. (Aidan Sun/Daily Bruin)

In addition to the Bruin Walk, the festivities paid homage to the past in the form of a strong alumni presence.

Recent UCLA football standouts such as Zach Charbonnet and the newly-drafted Laiatu Latu were among those who returned to the Rose Bowl. Included in the alumni crowd were legendary running backs from the 1970s and 1980s, respectively, in Wendell Tyler and Gaston Green – the Bruins’ all-time third leading rusher. Even Chicago Bulls star and former UCLA men’s basketball guard Zach LaVine added to the list of notable alumni in attendance.

“The support from every era of Bruin history was here today. It was just amazing to bring that atmosphere here to the Rose Bowl for a spring game and get it back to what we used to do,” Foster said.

The showcase began with a series of one-on-one competitions and standard practice drills emceed by former Bruin linebacker Shea Pitts.

Then, following the individual and positional group drills, the offense and defense competed in two 11-on-11 drills.

The first included 16 total plays between multiple units, including several led by redshirt freshman Justyn Martin, who seemingly ascended to second on the quarterback depth chart.

The final and most game-like drill was a tackle-less 11-on-11 scrimmage. After both the starting and backup units each had drives that began inside their own fives stall out after just a few plays, Garbers led the starters back out for what proved to be the most impressive drive of the scrimmage.

The 6-foot-3 signal caller led his unit from inside their own five-yard line well into opposing territory, using four completions of at least 10 yards on the left sideline to spark the drive.

Junior wide receiver Titus Mokiao-Atimalala and former Notre Dame wide receiver Rico Flores Jr. each caught a pair of the passes, including a 3rd-and-long completion to the former to keep the drive alive.

Junior wide receiver Titus Mokiao-Atimalala takes the ball out of the end zone at the Spring Showcase. After missing the 2023 season to injury, Mokiao-Atimalala figures to be a large factor in the Bruins' receiving room this fall. (Zimo Li/Daily Bruin)
Junior wide receiver Titus Mokiao-Atimalala takes the ball out of the end zone at the Spring Showcase. After missing the 2023 season to injury, Mokiao-Atimalala figures to be a large factor in the Bruins’ receiving room this fall. (Zimo Li/Daily Bruin)

Garbers said he and Mokiao-Atimalala – who missed all of 2023 due to injury – have strengthened their relationship this offseason.

“Titus is my guy,” Garbers said. “We’re definitely building a good connection going into the season.”

The drive ended with a 47-yard field goal from California transfer kicker Mateen Bhaghani. And Garbers later converted the only touchdown of the final drill with a five-yard touchdown pass to sophomore running back T.J. Harden.

Following the showcase, players stayed behind for an autograph session with fans, the culmination of a day spent connecting with the fanbase.

“Coach Foster has LA behind us again,” said junior defensive lineman Jay Toia.

Gavin Carlson | Sports staff
Carlson is currently a staff writer on the football, men's basketball and women's basketball beats. He was previously a reporter on the softball and men's golf beats.

Santa Monica 1 Bedroom,1Bath apartment in quiet 4-plex. 4miles from campus. Fully furnished. Calm, quiet, healthy, studious environment. Family owned by Ucla Alum. $2450/mo. Available June 25. Flexible Lease. Summer Sublet Ok. <[email protected]