Monday, May 6, 2024

SJP, UC DIVEST COALITION DEMONSTRATIONS AT UCLA

USAC recap – April 23

By Shiv Patel

The Undergraduate Students Association Council held its fourth meeting of spring quarter Tuesday.

USAC is the official student government representing the undergraduate student body at UCLA. Council meetings are open to all students and take place in person at the Bruin Viewpoint room and on Zoom every Tuesday at 7 p.m. Students can find the links for the meetings on the agenda posted on the USAC website or watch a livestream on the USAC Live! channel on YouTube.

Public comment:

• No public comments were made.

Funding:

• The council allocated $3,129 from the Supplemental Fund for Service to three non-USAC entities.
  • The council allocated $2,750.89 from the Student Wellness Programming Fund to four non-USAC entities.
  • The council allocated $2,010 from the Academic Success Referendum Fund to eight non-USAC entities.
  • The council allocated $3,773.98 from the Travel Grant Mini Fund to eight non-USAC entities.
  • The council allocated $11,342.88 from the Green Initiative Fund to one USAC entity and three non-USAC entities.

Officer reports:

• President Naomi Hammonds said she attended meetings for some of the committees she sits on and met with the Ballet Company at UCLA regarding the group’s concerns about its use of the John Wooden Center. She added that she met with Transfer Student Representative Meagan Harmon to discuss future collaborations.
  • Internal Vice President Megan Law said her office’s Housing Relief Fund is open until May 7, adding that her office is collaborating with Academic Affairs Commissioner Sujana Sridhar and General Representative Jonathan Valenzuela Mejia to host a resource fair Wednesday.
  • External Vice President Eva Jussim said her office has been lobbying federal representatives and will be holding a workshop next week.
  • General Representative Katie Pool said her office is hosting an event with It’s On Us – a nationwide organization dedicated to sexual assault awareness – on Wednesday. She added that her office has contacted UCLA Dining Services to discuss its plans to reduce the monetary value of meal swipes.
  • General Representative Gabby Lasry’s written report was not updated for the week.
  • Valenzuela Mejia said his office would host its second Latine caucus Wednesday. He said he toured the future Latine Student Center on the Hill last week, adding that he is excited for the center’s opening. Valenzuela Mejia also said his office would help with the AAC’s resource fair Wednesday, as well as collaborating with the IVP office on a career event next week.
  • Sridhar said her office would hold a resource fair Wednesday and has been planning an ongoing Books for Bruins initiative. She added that her office’s proposal to remove permanent incomplete grade notations on transcripts was approved. Sridhar said her office also sent a survey to faculty regarding textbook affordability.
  • Campus Events Commissioner Mason Miller’s written report was not updated for the week.
  • Community Service Commissioner Chia Ying Wong said her office is organizing its annual Service Impact Summit at the end of the quarter. She added that applications for her office’s Robert S. Michaels Scholarship are open. Wong also said her office collaborated with the Student Wellness Commission for the upcoming Equity in Mind conference Sunday.
  • Cultural Affairs Commissioner Alicia Verdugo said her office is working on an upcoming workshop week for students interested in creative development and the music industry. She added that her office will host art galleries in May and June. Verdugo also said her office would host a poetry workshop Wednesday for National Poetry Month and will release the artist lineup for its Carnival event this week.
  • Facilities Commissioner Nilaya Kanuri said the Sepulveda Transit Corridor for All coalition will attend the UCLA booth at the Pick Pico Street Fair on May 19, adding that she met with members of the group last week. She added that Bruins Public Health Group and United Auto Workers representatives were in attendance at her office’s Mobilizing for Mobility event April 18. Kanuri also said her office is currently coordinating details for its sustainable move-out initiative.
  • Financial Supports Commissioner Sara Broukhim’s written report was not updated for the week.
  • Chiara Frank, the executive director of SWC’s Active Minds committee, served as a proxy for Student Wellness Commissioner Jennis Kang at the meeting. Frank said Kang is working on distributing surplus allocation funds to the receiving entities. She added that the commission’s Bruin Consent Coalition committee is hosting an event Wednesday morning and afternoon. Active Minds is also collaborating with the LGBTQ Campus Resource Center for an event Wednesday night, Frank said.
  • Harmon said her office is planning a Transfer Appreciation Week for week seven. She added that her office has received 180 applications for graduate packages that include caps, gowns and photos, which were funded through surplus funding allocations. Harmon also said some of her staffers are in Sacramento for the UC Student Association’s Transfer Lobby Day.
  • International Student Representative Adam Tfayli said in his written report that his office collaborated with several cultural organizations on campus to organize a dabke – a traditional Levantine folk dance – night Tuesday. He added that he began preparing for his successor’s transition into the ISR office, including by meeting with current candidates for his position.

Agenda items:

• Verdugo, Valenzuela Mejia and Tfayli introduced “A Resolution in Support of USC Valedictorian Asna Tabassum and Her Right to Freedom of Speech” in response to the University of Southern California’s decision to bar Tabassum from speaking at the university’s commencement ceremony over security concerns. The council unanimously approved the resolution.
Shiv Patel