Saturday, May 4, 2024

South Dakota State forward William Kyle III marks 5th transfer addition for UCLA

Former South Dakota State forward William Kyle III holds the ball during a game. The 2023-2024 Summit League Defensive Player of the Year announced his transfer to UCLA men’s basketball Wednesday morning. (Courtesy of South Dakota State Athletics)

By Joseph Crosby

Coach Mick Cronin recruited out of Power Five schools for his first four transfer commitments of the offseason. 

For his fifth, he turned his sights to a mid-major program – and added a top defender in the process. 

Former South Dakota State forward William Kyle III announced his commitment to UCLA men’s basketball on X, formerly known as Twitter, on Wednesday morning. The sophomore earned Summit League Defensive Player of the Year honors after a 55-block campaign last season, and was named to the All-Conference First Team.

The 6-foot-9 forward’s career has followed a similar trajectory as that of sophomore forward/center Adem Bona – who the Bruins are seeking to replace after his entrance into the NBA Draft. Both were named to their respective conference’s All-Freshman or All-Newcomer teams in their first years, building upon that with defensive awards and double-digit offensive outputs as sophomores. 

While Kyle didn’t quite reach the Freshman of the Year heights Bona did last season, the former Jackrabbit averaged 8.9 points and 4.8 rebounds per game while adding 38 blocks and 11 steals. He improved on three of those totals this year, averaging 13.1 points – second on the team behind only Summit League Player of the Year Zeke Mayo – and 6.6 rebounds per game while adding 55 blocks and 11 steals. 

Kyle’s abilities go beyond scoring and defense – he’s proven himself as a playmaker out of the post. 

Across 35 games – and 24 starts – Kyle accumulated the third-most assists for the Jackrabbits with 58, while turning the ball over 50 times – good for an assist-to-turnover ratio of 1.16. 

Kyle also brings NCAA Tournament experience to UCLA. After winning the Summit League championship this year, No. 15 seed South Dakota State fell to No. 2 seed Iowa State in the opening round of March Madness. Even under the bright lights, Kyle’s performance fell right in line with his season averages, scoring 14 points while adding seven rebounds and four assists against the Cyclones. 

With Kyle’s commitment, Cronin has now reached his maximum of 13 scholarships, indicating this as a likely final move for the Bruins’ roster for the moment. However, another portal entrant in the final week of it being open – or freshman center Aday Mara heading to the NBA Draft – could change that calculus.

Joseph Crosby | Sports editor
Crosby is the 2023-2024 Sports editor on the football, men's basketball and NIL beats. He was previously an assistant Sports editor on the baseball, women's golf, men's water polo and women's water polo beats and a contributor on the baseball and women's golf beats. He is also a fourth-year statistics student.