NFL Mock Draft 2024: Laiatu Latu leads Bruins as likely 1st-round pick

UCLA football senior defensive lineman Laiatu Latu tracks the quarterback. The two-year Bruin is a likely first-round pick in the upcoming NFL Draft. (Megan Cai/Photo editor. Photo illustration by Jeremy Chen/Photo editor)

By Joseph Crosby, Benjamin Royer, and Jack Nelson

This post was updated April 23 at 9:07 p.m.

The 2024 NFL Draft is rapidly approaching, and UCLA football is set to produce a first-round pick for the first time since 2018 when senior defensive lineman Laiatu Latu hears his name called Thursday night. Before commissioner Roger Goodell takes the stage in Detroit, Sports editor Joseph Crosby, assistant Sports editor Benjamin Royer and senior staff writer Jack Nelson predict where Latu and four other Bruins will end up.

Laiatu Latu, EDGE

In an ideal world, Latu is a slam dunk top-10 pick. The 6-foot-5, 259-pound edge rusher broke out in his first season with the Bruins in 2022, totaling 12.5 tackles for loss – 10.5 for sacks – before playing even better a year later.

Latu reached 13 sacks in 2023, the most of any Bruin since four-time Pro Bowler Anthony Barr’s 2012 season. He became more devastating against the run, adding 8.5 tackles for loss against ball carriers. His stellar season was rewarded with the Lombardi Award, the Ted Hendricks Award, the Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year and a First-Team All-American designation.

The only thing that could prevent Latu from joining Barr as a top-10 pick is his history of injuries.

After his first season with Washington in 2019, Latu was kept out of game action in 2020 and 2021 with injuries before ultimately being medically retired. Instead of ending his football journey, Latu transferred to UCLA and was eventually cleared to play again before back-to-back dominant seasons.

Latu is a statistical darling by both traditional and advanced metrics. His 21.5 tackles for loss and 13 sacks last season ranked first and fourth in the country, respectively, and his NFL Next Gen Stats score – which evaluates a player based on their collegiate career, Pro Day and NFL Combine performances – is the best of any edge rusher in his draft class. He’s explosive off the ball, has a deep repertoire of moves to get past offensive tackles and is even a threat to snag an interception every now and then.

The Bears are going to pick USC quarterback Caleb Williams with the No. 1 pick. But when they are back on the clock eight picks later, Latu will be ready and waiting to lead Chicago’s defense.

Crosby’s pick: First round, pick No. 9 (Chicago Bears)

Gabriel Murphy, EDGE

(Brandon Morquecho/Photo editor)
Redshirt junior defensive lineman Gabriel Murphy reaches for Oregon State running back Damien Martinez. (Brandon Morquecho/Photo editor)

While Latu may be the Bruins’ best, Gabriel Murphy was second to the punch in UCLA’s pass rush. As a major part of former defensive coordinator D’Anton Lynn’s game plan, the 6-foot-3, 260-pound defensive end improved from his first year in Westwood to earn an All-Pac-12 honorable mention last season.

Latu will go first – that’s all but certain. But Murphy will be the second Bruin off the board, likely in the third or fourth round.

From 2022 to 2023, Murphy burst onto the scene with 16 tackles for loss, compared to just four during his redshirt sophomore campaign.

Using his versatile skill set to match up around the defensive line, as a linebacker or potentially as a QB spy – the Dallas local may be a day-one impact player for any franchise. If anything, his smaller size makes him quicker to the quarterback and could give NFL offensive linemen fits if utilized well.

The 6.21 prospect grade probably solidified his place as a draftee and a friendly addition to any organization. Murphy could best be used as a third-and-short option to put goal line rushes to a halt.

And the Chicago Bears are going to need stops, no matter whom they draft ahead of him. So, the Windy City it is.

Royer’s pick: Fourth round, pick No. 122 (Chicago Bears)

Grayson Murphy, EDGE

(Jeremy Chen/Photo editor)
Redshirt junior defensive lineman Grayson Murphy celebrates after a play during the LA Bowl. (Jeremy Chen/Photo editor)

One Murphy earned an invite to the NFL Combine. The other, however, was left on the sidelines to watch his Bruin brethren compete in front of general managers and coaches alike.

But don’t count out Grayson Murphy. Although he tallied fewer tackles for loss and sacks than his brother Gabriel or Latu, he was still one of the best pass rushers in the Pac-12 in 2023. With five sacks and nine tackles for loss, the former North Texas transfer was vital in the Bruins’ blitz game.

While he may be more of a Lance Bass than Justin Timberlake in UCLA’s EDGEs, Grayson Murphy possesses great first-step quickness and makes up for his weaknesses with full effort on every down – even when drawing an all-too-common penalty.

The 6-foot-3, 260-pound edge rusher won’t go as high as his twin brother in the 2024 NFL Draft, but a franchise could get a sneaky good get – with a top-end 4.74 40-yard dash time – in the mid-to-late round range.

Grayson Murphy will stick in Los Angeles – and go to the stadium in which he finished his collegiate career – SoFi Stadium.

Royer’s pick: Fifth round, pick No. 155 (Los Angeles Rams)

Darius Muasau, linebacker

(Myka Fromm/Photo editor)
Redshirt senior linebacker Darius Muasau stands in a ready position for a play during UCLA’s game against Arizona State. (Myka Fromm/Photo editor)

If there’s a dark horse lurking in the Bruins’ draft class, it may very well be Darius Muasau.

He was undervalued well before he even made his appearance at the Combine.

Muasau’s 6-foot, 225-pound frame qualifies him on the smaller side, and the league is still figuring out how to properly evaluate players with lesser stature at the position – even if this year’s draft class of linebackers will be the second-lightest of the past decade. He’s a product of the modern college game, where run-pass options and screens are becoming commonplace, forcing linebackers to cover more ground.

Taking advantage of the evolving landscape, Muasau led UCLA in tackles each of the past two seasons with 91 in 2022 and 75 in 2023. He showed extended productivity and quick play recognition, in addition to strong instincts in the open field – ultimately earning All-Pac-12 Second Team honors twice over.

His Combine performance, though, only stunted his already weak NFL candidacy.

The Ewa Beach, Hawaii, local earned a 5.89 prospect grade, equivalent to that of an average backup or special-teamer. Unsurprisingly, his highlight was in the production category, where his grade ranked eighth among all invited linebackers.

The Seattle Seahawks were tarred and feathered in free agency, losing their top two options at the position in Jordyn Brooks and Bobby Wagner, and are thus desperate for depth.

New head coach Mike Macdonald could very well look to Muasau to help fill the void, reuniting him with former teammates Jake Bobo and Zach Charbonnet.

Nelson’s pick: Sixth round, pick No. 192 (Seattle Seahawks)

Carson Steele, running back

(Myka Fromm/Photo editor)
Junior running back Carson Steele looks downfield. After transferring from Ball State, Steele was never the primary ball carrier for UCLA, almost perfectly splitting carries with sophomore T.J. Harden. (Myka Fromm/Photo editor)

The Athletic’s Bruce Feldman was sold on Carson Steele before he ever put on a UCLA jersey.

He listed the back No. 21 on his “2023 College Football Freaks” list, lauding Steele’s athleticism as the transfer made the move to Power Five football from Ball State.

But as dominant of a force Steele was before arriving in Westwood – racking up 2400-plus rushing yards across his first two seasons – he took a step in the wrong direction during his final year of college ball.

The Bruins’ rushing attack was nearly a pure 50-50 split in 2023, as Steele and sophomore running back T.J. Harden totaled 847 and 827 yards on the ground off 167 and 156 attempts, respectively. Steele never served as the primary ball carrier that he once was at the mid-major level.

Still, versatility is a distinguishing characteristic of his game, and he excels in downhill running and as a role player on passing downs. His upright tendencies with the ball, though, expose one of his largest weaknesses – agility.

The 6-foot, 228-pound running back failed to receive a Combine invite, and considering the regression he showed against stronger college defenses, he’ll be drafted as a flier, if selected at all.

There’s a connection with the Las Vegas Raiders that may grant Steele a chance. Head coach Antonio Pierce hired UCLA coach DeShaun Foster as his running backs coach before Foster took the job in Westwood, showing strong trust in Foster’s ability to develop rushers.

Steele would welcome a shot in Las Vegas after a decent stint with the Bruins – even if his pet crocodile “Crocky-J” doesn’t figure to make many friends in the desert.

Nelson’s pick: Seventh round, pick No. 229 (Las Vegas Raiders)

Joseph Crosby | Sports editor
Crosby is the 2023-2024 Sports editor on the football, men's basketball and NIL beats. He was previously an assistant Sports editor on the baseball, women's golf, men's water polo and women's water polo beats and a contributor on the baseball and women's golf beats. He is also a fourth-year statistics student.
Benjamin Royer | Assistant Sports editor
Royer is the 2023-2024 Assistant Sports editor on the baseball, gymnastics and men's water polo beats and a reporter on the football beat. He was previously a staff writer on the baseball, football and gymnastics beats. He is also a fourth-year communication student.
Jack Nelson | Sports senior staff
Nelson is currently a Sports senior staff writer. He was previously an assistant Sports editor on the softball, men's tennis and women's tennis beats and a contributor on the men's tennis and women's tennis beats.