Wednesday, May 1, 2024

UCLA men’s tennis completes season sweep over USC with 5th consecutive win

Sophomore Gianluca Ballotta clenches his fist in celebration. His singles victory Tuesday helped the Bruins prevail over the Trojans. (Julia Zhou/Photo editor)

Men's Tennis

USC2
UCLA4

By Chloe Agas

Rivalry matches are inevitable in sports.

They produce legendary matchups – Barcelona and Real Madrid, Duke and North Carolina, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal, to name a few.

Los Angeles’ largest schools share a 95-year-old rivalry.

Through clashes littered with accomplishments, the Bruins and Trojans have shared moments of triumph, despair and hope.

On Tuesday afternoon at the Los Angeles Tennis Center, UCLA men’s tennis (12-6, 4-2 Pac-12) inflicted despair on USC (5-1, 15-6) outlasting its crosstown rivals 4-2 after a clinching backhand from Gianluca Ballotta.

“I was instantly happy, super happy,” the sophomore said. “I felt so much relief and, at the same time, happiness and confidence in myself and my team.”

Ballotta’s win broke a five-match winless streak after a season of repeated injuries.

“He’s had numerous injuries that have hampered him,” said coach Billy Martin. “I hope he’s going to be excited after that win, knowing that he contributed to that fantastic win over USC. I know what he’s capable of.”

Contributing to the tally, freshman Spencer Johnson and redshirt senior Govind Nanda’s singles victories brought the Bruins to a 3-2 lead.

Nanda battled out a tiebreak in the first set against Peter Makk – before a tactical serve ruptured the latter’s break points.

“In the second set, my level increased,” Nanda said. “I served down breakpoints or came up with some good serves and managed to find a win there.”

Before concocting a singles victory, Nanda, alongside his doubles partner and co-captain junior Alexander Hoogmartens, captured the doubles point for the Bruins.

A drop-shot volley to cap off a tiebreak was met with the uproar of their teammates and coaching staff. Nanda and Hoogmartens, who were last to finish their doubles bout, ensured that redshirt freshman Emon van Loben Sels and Johnson’s doubles victory converted into a point for the Bruins.

“Me and Alex have started off a little bit rough, but our chemistry has increased,” he said. “We’ve gotten to know each other gamewise, and we’ve connected a little bit better as the matches have gone on.”

In their first time playing as a duo on top court, Johnson and van Loben Sels caught the first tally of doubles play.

However, next door, junior Giacomo Revelli and redshirt junior Timothy Li were defeated in battle 6-2 – extending the duo’s losing streak that commenced in late February.

“They were just clicking on all cylinders last year,” Martin said. “We’ve tried to do everything under the sun to figure it out. It might be time to change that team up a little bit.”

UCLA poached another victory to extend its winning streak to five and completed its season sweep of USC.

“We’re finding ways to win matches, because not every day is going to be everybody’s best day,” Martin said. “We’re compounding wins and building confidence at the most important time of our season.”

Chloe Agas