UCLA softball celebrates LGBTQ+ community at Pride Game

Associate head coach Kirk Walker holds game notes in his hands. UCLA and California wore special T-shirts for the annual UCLA softball Pride Game. (Aidan Sun/Daily Bruin)

By Felicia Keller

This post was updated April 16 at 8:31 p.m.

Kirk Walker was intentional when choosing Friday’s series opener against California as the date for UCLA softball’s Pride Game.

“I knew when we picked this date – it was on purpose. First of all, this is PFLAG’s Day of Silence,” said the Bruins’ associate head coach. “But also (at) Cal, their head coach is married to one of their assistants, and they have a family. So immediately I’m like, ‘Oh, perfect. Let’s do it on Cal weekend. We’ll do it with them.’”

From there, Walker worked with multiple organizations – Pride Tape, Pride Socks and CHANGED BY THE GAME were all involved, and UCLA brought in DJ Bowie Jane for the pregame festivities.

Walker – who is considered the first out coach in Division I sports when he came out in 2005 – said the team has held the event in different forms since at least 2012.

“Obviously we have a platform that’s really powerful,” Walker said. “It’s always important to show that UCLA is a place that values diversity, values authenticity. Not only for our current players or staff, but just for our fans or for the younger generation that may feel like they want to be in college athletics.”

UCLA players wore rainbow socks, some wore bows, the stadium was adorned with pride flags and CHANGED BY THE GAME presented each player with a “Know Your Outs” bracelet beforehand.

(Aidan Sun/Daily Bruin)
Sophomore infielder Jordan Woolery smiles with gems on her cheek and a rainbow bow in her hair (upper left). A UCLA softball player wears Pride Socks (upper right). Redshirt senior shortstop Maya Brady and freshman catcher/infielder Addison Mettler wear rainbow bows in their hair (bottom). (Aidan Sun/Daily Bruin)

Redshirt senior shortstop Maya Brady said the day was a chance to celebrate.

“I think the best thing about going to UCLA is the diversity and getting the opportunity to celebrate, so we were all excited,” Brady said. “Every year when we do Pride, we get ribbons, we get gems and the team really just takes the opportunity to really celebrate (the) LGBTQ+ community.”

Both teams participated in the festivities, wearing T-shirts during the pregame that featured a bear shaded in with blocks in the colors of the rainbow, representing the schools’ mascots.

Walker said being able to collaborate with an opposing team was special.

Three UCLA teams have held Pride games, matches or meets this year in addition to the softball program – women’s volleyball, women’s soccer and gymnastics.

“We’ve got some tremendous coaches on this campus. They’ve been nothing but supportive of all the initiatives that we’ve done,” Walker said. “We’ve got tons of LGBT staff and coaches in our department. So the Pride Night is a visible thing, but it’s not the only thing.”

The Bruins went on to win the Pride Game, by a score of 3-1, the lone contest in the series after rain cancellations Saturday and Sunday.

Felicia Keller
Keller is a 2023-2024 assistant Sports editor on the men’s soccer, swim and dive, women’s water polo, and softball beats. She was previously a contributor on the swim and dive and women’s water polo beats and a contributor in the News and Photo sections. She is also a second-year sociology student.