Thursday, May 2, 2024

Goalkeeper Lauren Steele and upperclassmen lead UCLA to victory over California

Senior attacker Malia Allen holds the ball behind her head for UCLA women’s water polo. Allen scored a hat trick against California on Saturday, giving her nine goals in the last two games. (Nicolas Greamo/Daily Bruin senior staff)

Women's Water Polo

No. 5 California6

By Ava Abrishamchian

This post was updated April 14 at 9:15 p.m.

Some say perfection is impossible.

The Bruins, however, disagree with the naysayers.

“20-0, that’s an amazing record,” said freshman goalkeeper Lauren Steele. “It’s awesome to know we are the ones to beat this year.”

No. 1 UCLA women’s water polo (20-0, 5-0 MPSF) kept its streak alive, defeating No. 5 California (13-5, 2-2) by a score of 7-6 on Saturday at Spieker Aquatics Center, marking its 20th consecutive victory. Only four different Bruins scored Saturday, with no underclassmen finding the back of the net for the first time this season.

“We have goals coming from so many different people,” said graduate student attacker Brooke Doten. “This game was some of the older players, but … we are so encouraged by how our younger players are playing, because they’re the ones who are doing all the other little things leading up to those goals.”

Senior attacker Malia Allen got the scoring started a minute into the match. But the Golden Bears buried two of their chances to head into the second quarter up 2-1 over the Bruins.

“Cal really tries to feed off of whether you’re emotional in your game,” Allen said. “We talked about – before playing them – sticking to our game and our details and not getting caught up in their game.”

Doten’s two second-period goals gave the Bruins a lead heading into the second half. After another goal from Allen, the Bruins headed into the final frame 5-4.

UCLA made crucial stops on defense in the fourth quarter, giving Allen the avenue to score again, burying the Bruins’ second goal of the quarter and earning the first two-point lead of the match.

The goal marked Allen’s ninth in the last two matches, etching in another hat trick for the season.

Cal rallied for a last-ditch attempt to lead the game; however, they were blocked by Steele, who ended the game with 20 saves. This was an effort they not only anticipated, but also prepared for as a team, Steele said.

“We had a game plan to force them to shoot more shots,” Steele said. “I feel like my teammates definitely helped me with their blocks, because doing their blocking responsibilities helps me do my blocking responsibilities.”

UCLA will carry the 20-game winning streak into its final regular season game against No. 4 USC next weekend.

Ava Abrishamchian