UCLA women’s golf secures 9th place at the Chevron Silverado Showdown

Junior Caroline Canales stands and observes the course. (Courtesy of Jesus Ramirez/UCLA Athletics)

By Sabrina Baker

A year ago, then-sophomore Caroline Canales jumped 16 spots up the leaderboard to finish in the top 10.

This year, the now-junior climbed eight spots past opponents to secure a third-place finish.

Canales’ final-round surge in both years happened at the Chevron Silverado Showdown in Napa, California at the Silverado Resort & Spa North Course.

In 2023, Canales shot a 3-over 220 and found herself the second-best finisher for the Bruins, behind then-sophomore Zoe Antoinette Campos. In 2024, Canales carded 3-under 213, securing her the top position for the Bruins.

Coach Alicia Um Holmes said Canales’s work ethic showed through in her game.

“Caroline’s been working really hard on just getting a little bit better every day,” Um Holmes said. “Incrementally moving towards her goals for ball striking, for putting, for short game and she’s been working really hard so it was cool to see her put together that final round.”

The comparisons between the two years could continue on and on. Yet, there is one major difference between 2023 and 2024: the team’s finish. Unlike last year’s podium finish of third place, No. 5 UCLA women’s golf finished in ninth place with a score of 20-over 884 – only two strokes more than last year.

Um Holmes said this year’s course conditions allowed the other teams to get lower scores in comparison to last year.

“The weather was beautiful up there,” Um Holmes said. “It was much warmer than last year and a little bit drier, so I think the course played shorter.”

This week’s lineup looked different than usual without Campos and redshirt junior Alessia Nobilio. Instead, sophomore Meghan Royal and freshman Jennifer Seo entered the lineup.

This was Seo’s first time back in the lineup since the Battle for the Bell on October 12.

“For her to come out and give, I think three rounds of hers all counted towards the team score, that was really big and I think that’s something we can build on,” Um Holmes said. “She’s just a freshman so she has some work to do.”

The Chevron Silverado Showdown marks the end of the Bruins’ regular season play, with their next event being the Pac-12 Championship at Palouse Ridge Golf Course in Pullman, Washington, from April 21 to April 23.

Um Holmes said heading into the postseason, she wants to stress the importance of forgiving oneself while playing.

“Golf is a game of mistakes and nobody is perfect,” Um Holmes said. “We’re not robots out there. Everybody’s a human being.”

Sabrina Baker | Sports contributor
Baker is currently a Sports contributor on the swim & dive beat.